Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sniper Cutting out intermittently.

If the Data Monitor doesn't display consistent cranking RPM, start troubleshooting the distributor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I assume you're aware of the problems associated with that: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...2857#post92857 (Related Forum Thread)
    Yeah I am, I read through all those posts when I initially setup the timing control. Had a couple of teething problems with setting it up (solved by starting with a fresh GCF), since then I've done probably 3000 miles without a problem until last week.

If the Data Monitor doesn't display consistent cranking RPM, start troubleshooting the distributor.
    When cranking, it tries to fire and might run (very roughly) for a few seconds. During that time the RPM read out seems to be pretty spot on with what the engine is actually doing.

In that case, maybe a failed WBO2 sensor has fuel saturated your spark plugs (poor starting), and also corrupted the Learn Table (poor running). If so, clear the Learn Table of corrupted values (Sniper EFI software) due to the defective WBO2 sensor, or upload the last "known to be good" Config File. You can't just replace the WBO2 sensor, and restart the engine. You must upload the last "known to be good" Global Folder, upload the base calibration, or at the very least, clear the Learn Table of the corrupted values from the defective WBO2 sensor. Also, ensure there's no exhaust leaks upstream of the WBO2 sensor.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ension-Harness (WBO2 Sensor Information - Read 4th & 5th paragraph under "Wideband O2 Sensor Notes".)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I'll give that a go. Although I did already try a new GCF using the start Wizard, it made no difference. I posted it early you might not have seen it. Is it normal for the Coil Driver Module to become extremely hot while the key is on, but engine not running?
    Last edited by 91chevota; 08-24-2017 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 91chevota View Post
    Is it normal for the Coil Driver Module to become extremely hot while the key is on, but engine not running?
    I don't know. When I ran a single coil distributor ignition, I always used a CD ignition box (LINK).

I don't know. When I ran a single coil distributor ignition, I always used a CD ignition box (LINK).
    OK, seems very strange to me that it gets very hot very quickly.

Cleared Learn Table, disabled Closed Loop. Got it started and gave it a rev to clear the fuel, sat there & idled (still rough, but it was idling at least) for about 5 or so minutes, before it stopped dead again and now won't restart with same symptoms as before. Erratic or no spark.

Just going back to the original problem and the data collected, if it was WBO2 sensor causing issues wouldn't the ECU dump a heap of fuel in when it saw lean AFRs? Through the whole shutdown situation fuel flow on the datalog remains constant so the ECU doesn't think any extra fuel is going in? If it was a changing fuel situation, wouldn't there be a stumble or struggle to keep the engine alive? When it cuts out it's a definitive shutdown.
    Last edited by 91chevota; 08-24-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Then replace the Coil Driver Module. I never stated there was a fueling problem. I was just providing ideas to check. I'm not there, so I can only diagnose so much from the internet.

Yeah I can understand that, and I appreciate the help. Just making sure you have all the information I can give you.
    I would replace it, but the only place I can see that even has them is Holley, and the earliest they can ship is a week from today. So by the time it gets to Australia it will be weeks and this is my daily driver.

Last ditch effort is I'll head out to my Dad's place in the morning in my brother's car, and grab my 6AL off my track car, bring it back and fit it. If nothing else that will at least rule out the Coil Driver Module.

91chevota, I would suggest that you pull your distributor cap and very carefully check the installed height of the rotor and ensure that the tang is 1) not damaged and 2) appropriately & fully contacting the center tower button on the distributor cap.

Your situation is so similar to several that I'm following. It runs good for a while and then suddenly starts having issues cutting out. In the similar cases with which I am familiar, it is RFI. The question is, what would suddenly cause RFI where there apparently was none before. Several others have opened their distributor to find that tang on the top of the rotor either no longer correctly adjusted for height (where it had been previously) or the tang/button combination either damaged or misaligned.

I would really be interested to know if this has happened in your case. That is why I (as well as Danny and evidently the Holley technicians as well) have withdrawn my support from using the MSD Pro-Billet distributor with rotor phasing kit to do Sniper EFI controlled ignition timing. Yes, it absolutely can work. It's just that everything must be pretty much perfect and in the real world, things rarely are (and, it seems, when they are they don't stay that way). Using the Holley Dual-Sync Distributor has just proven to be so much more reliable in this situation. Looking forward to your response.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

OK, so I replaced the Coil Driver Module with a 6AL box, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Time will tell, but I've taken it for a short test drive and all seems to be well. Thanks for the help guys.