Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sniper Cutting out intermittently.

Default Sniper Cutting out intermittently.

So I've done nearly 10,000 KMS (or 6000 miles) with the Sniper including the timing control, and it hasn't missed a beat except for a failed TPS, which was an easy fix until last week.
    First incident was sitting in traffic idling, and it just stopped. Restarted straight away, so didn't think too much of it until it did the same the next day.
    Day after that it did the same, but refused to restart. Eventually restarted after about 20 minutes.
    At this point I was becoming concerned, but didn't have a problem with it until tow days ago.

It cut out in peak afternoon traffic, restarted and went another half a mile then cut out again and refused to restart. Flattened battery trying to chase the issue and by the time assistance arrived to jump start it, it fired back up again and limped it home. NOW I did start datalogging the last couple of incidents, but it didn't show anything obvious. Upon trying to restart and it refusing, it sometimes tried to fire like it was just not quite getting enough fuel.

Yesterday purchased a fuel pressure gauge as my first suspect was the 044 pump. (This issue only seems to arise after about 15 or 20 minutes of driving once it gets hot.)
    Install the fuel pressure gauge and drove it this morning until it died again. Can now confirm that it is NOT a fuel pressure issue.

Attached is a couple of screenshots from this morning in the datalogs. First one is at idle when it just cut out, second one was cruising slowly in second gear when it completely cut out.
    Any suggestions? Leading up to failure, it will stumble once or twice while driving, usually during acceleration, then runs perfect right up until it cuts out and then it totally dies without warning. Once it restarts (eventually), it runs perfect again until the next time it cuts out.
    Coil Driver Module issue cutting ignition? ECU problem? This is my daily driver and only vehicle at the moment, I've taken time off work to try and sort this issue out, so any help is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landcruiser Screenshot.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	2480

Name:	Landcruiser Screenshot 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	2478

New screenshot from the drive home where it cut out while driving, while coasting with the throttle shut suddenly cut back in with a backfire and then ran fine the rest of the way. Definitely looks like there's no fuel. Fuel flow remains constant but AFRs are lean as. Blocked injectors? All four of them? There's a 40 micron filter before the surge, then a 100 micron after the main pump before the TBI and it's clean (first thing I checked).

Name:	Landcruiser_Screen_Cut Out.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	2481

You should have the 100 micron filter before the pump, and the 40 micron after the pump.
    If the injectors are firing and the ignition is not it will show lean. After all, it's an WBO2 sensor. No ignition means lots of O2 in the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by 91chevota View Post
    There's a 40 micron filter before the surge, then a 100 micron after the main pump before the TBI and it's clean (first thing I checked).
    As 81 TransAm stated, that's backwards.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

My bad, the 100 micron is first, 40 micron is second.

Yeah, I've been playing with it all afternoon. Now it's at a point where it won't restart at all, or runs really rough with IAC in the 80%-90% percent to try and keep it running. Looking down the TB while it's cranking there is plenty of fuel, so spark was my next culprit. Symptoms of timing being way out to me. Coil Driver Module is extremely hot. Can hear sparks arc in the distributor while it's not running, but with the key on. Suspect failed Coil Driver Module?
    Last edited by 91chevota; 08-24-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Looking down the TB while it's cranking there is plenty of fuel, so spark was my next culprit.
    Well does a timing light indicate there's spark or not?

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Timing light shows erratic spark or none at all.

OK, what does your ignition system consist of? You mentioned the Coil Driver Module, so I assume no CD ignition box. Which distributor is this?

MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD Pro Billet distributor locked out with adjustable rotor. I pulled the cap off the distributor can't see anything wrong.

MSD Pro Billet distributor locked out with adjustable rotor.
    I assume you're aware of the problems associated with that: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...2857#post92857 (Related Forum Thread)