Thread: MSD Crank Trigger/MSD Programmable Digital 7+ (#7531) compatible with SNIPER?

Question MSD Crank Trigger/MSD Programmable Digital 7+ (#7531) compatible with SNIPER?

New car in the mix for me. 383 small block Chevy powered Nova that used to be a race car.
    Now just a strip/strip car, with one of those CARB things on it.
    Still has the MSD 7531 Programmable Digital 7 PLUS ignition box.
    Has MSD crab cap crank trigger "distributor" & MSD crank trigger setup.
    Is this setup, or CAN IT BE, compatible with the SNIPER EFI?
    Owned it a week, and I'm already ready to ditch the carburetor. A new $810 HOLLEY 750 ULTRA XP.
    I thought a while back, I saw someone was talking about it, but cannot find the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Is this setup, or CAN IT BE, compatible with the SNIPER EFI?
    The instructions state the CD ignition box can be triggered by the "Points Output" white wire:
    http://documents.msdperformance.com/7531.pdf (MSD 7531 Programmable Digital 7 PLUS Instructions - "Wiring", Page 2)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

So, if it is, or I can make it, connected to the WHITE trigger wire, I can control Timing with the Sniper? This car has a TON of "stuff" that I'm unfamiliar with, so I'll have to look and see what's used right now. I know there's the violet/green wires FROM the crank trigger, but without looking, I can't say where they go. Just got this car Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    So, if it is, or I can make it, connected to the WHITE trigger wire, I can control Timing with the Sniper?
    Yes, it's wired like the bottom wiring diagram on page 18 of the Sniper EFI instruction manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks Danny, and I hate to even ask. Should I expect the typical SNIPER/MSD/Timing Control issues with a crank trigger setup?

Yes, if you choose to keep the MSD magnetic pickup sensor.
    You can run the MSD crank trigger kit with Holley's 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor.
    Holley's 554-118 direct replacement Hall-Effect crank sensor (¾"-16 threaded sensor):
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10633rev.pdf (Holley 554-118 Instructions)
    I think you'll select the "Holley Dual Sync" Ignition Type, even without the cam sensor.
    Holley Dual Sync Distributors use Hall-Effect sensors, but Sniper EFI only uses the crank sensor.

Awesome Danny. Thank you!

You're welcome. So now you'll be wired like the wiring diagram on page 24 of the Sniper EFI instruction manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual)

Except the "Holley Dual Sync Distributor" with adapter, as pictured, will be the Crank Trigger? Or am I missing something?

Yes. The crank sensor is the same, regardless if it's a crank trigger or distributor based.
    The Hall-Effect sensor is three wires; keyed +12V (red), ground (green) & signal (purple).