Thread: Sniper EFI, whose got one near me? Help!

Default Sniper EFI, whose got one near me? Help!

Hello all. I really appreciate these forums, however, I really like to talk to people (typing is not one of my better skill sets), and see things with my own eye balls before jumping in head first. So is anyone running a Sniper around Concord, NH? There are no Holley dealers within a six hour drive from my location. I had a rather uninspiring conversation with a Holley tech over the phone, so I'm not sold. On paper it looks pretty good, but has anyone run one of these on a four season daily driver? I'm extremely confident with my carb tuning & distributor curving abilities, but recently I decided to broaden my horizons by going to EFI (Fox 5.0), and it's been a disaster as far as reliability in winter months and I can't tune it, which is killing performance & economy. I could always go back to a carb, however, I'd like to move up to a turbo setup in the future, so EFI seems to make sense, especially with what the Sniper has to offer, and not a whole lot more expensive than a carb. Help! Thanks in advance, Russ.

I read here in the forum that you're supposed to save different configurations depending on climate changes/seasons. Maybe if you tuned your Sniper during summer or warmer season, and are using the same configuration for colder temperatures is making it act up. I tried to tune my Sniper during a really hot day here in Texas, and it was so frustrating I thought about returning the Sniper and putting back my old carb. But two days later when my garage was bearable to work in the Sniper tuned just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo64 View Post
    I read here in the forum that you're supposed to save different configurations depending on climate changes/seasons. Maybe if you tuned your Sniper during summer or warmer season, and are using the same configuration for colder temperatures is making it act up.
    That's not true. The Learn Table easily compensates for the minimal fueling changes required for the different seasons. Users save a copy of their "known to be good" tune for other reasons (LINK). Racers may have alternate tunes for different fuel types or power levels.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, I've read up a bunch of the threads you posted in, and I wish you lived next door, so I could pick your brain on these things. My dilemma is not knowing the ropes of computers and not being able to afford to bring my truck to the dyno over & over again. The last place local I took my truck to, I don't think the guy was taking me seriously. With a carb on a 180K, 8.5:1, 302 engine & HEI distributor, I averaged about 14 MPG around town and my best highway was 21 MPG. With a 5000 lb Ford Ranger on 37s with 4.56 gears and a 4 speed. I ran that setup for about 70K (after the 180). Finally, I spun a bearing, so I dropped in a new crate 9.1:1 306. At the time, someone gave me a Fox EFI setup, so imagine my surprise when my economy went down to 9 MPG and I can't even bark a tire anymore. It's like having a four banger again. Plus I can't tune it! And since it's a 4x4, I think the dyno guy thought it was a joke when I pulled it in. I don't have "toys", this is my daily driver and as close to a hot rod as I'll ever get. I don't mind spending some change on new quality parts, but I need to be well informed in my decisions.

And to clarify, I'm currently looking to replace my Ford Mass Air EFI with a Sniper EFI (if it can actually be tuned for economy).
    Last edited by russ blaney; 08-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by russ blaney View Post
    And to clarify, I'm currently looking to replace my Ford Mass Air EFI with a Sniper EFI...
    For the money you'd spend on a Sniper EFI system, I'd fix or tune your Ford EFI system.

...(if it can actually be tuned for economy).
    It can, but it requires knowledgeable Sniper EFI software laptop tuning (LINK).

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

For what it's worth, I got 17.4 MPG out of a Ford 400 with a C6 and a non-locking torque converter. That required driving like a granny (constant 60 MPH), but real life 15+ MPG highway are possible. I don't believe I'd be able to achieve that level of economy with a carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    For the money you'd spend on a Sniper EFI system, I'd fix or tune your Ford EFI system.
    It can, but it requires knowledgeable Sniper EFI software laptop tuning (LINK).
    That's what I was afraid of. There seems to be a lack of talent in the EFI tuning area, in my area, LOL. This really bums me out. This is what happens when you do something different. And yes, I'd love to keep the mass air setup, but good parts are not easy to come by and the knowledgeable people, are not that "knowledgeable" on antique (but advanced in my opinion) Ford mass air EFI.

Dr Grip, that's why EFI seems so enticing to me. However, there's something to be said about analog vs the digital world. Analog is infinite, where as digital is small bits. So in theory, a properly sized/jetted carb and an distributor curved to the vehicle application, will have instant & perfect response to airflow so long as the driver drives in a consistent manner and fuel is of consistent quality. So back the the fuel injection, which won't be instant (there is a feedback loop), but will compensate for driver and fuel inconsistencies over time. Sigh, the things that keep me up at night, LOL. It's been proven over and over on the dynos that carb vs. EFI can always be brought to the same results, EFI is just easier to tune (pushing buttons vs turning wrenches), especially in a racing environment where speed in adapting to changes could win a race. I think I'm answering my own questions here; learn how to tune myself or stick with what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by russ blaney View Post
    So in theory, a properly sized/jetted carb and an distributor curved to the vehicle application, will have instant & perfect response to airflow so long as the driver drives in a consistent manner and fuel is of consistent quality. So back the the fuel injection, which won't be instant (there is a feedback loop)...
    An EFI ECU processes data many times a second; much faster than a mechanical distributor & carburetor. Also, multi-port EFI (especially sequential) injects fuel directly at the intake valve, not far away at the carburetor. Not to mention, a carburetor doesn't have nearly the amount of adjustability of EFI.

Come on, you're not going to try to sell me that a computer is faster than the inertia of the weights in a distributor, or how fast the vacuum advance can add a little extra timing under light throttle? It just happens, instantly. OK not here to pick a fight.

I specifically went after the OEM (quality) sequential multi-port (still on production cars today) EFI. I'm a firm believer Ford was way ahead of the power curve on adaptable EFI. Maybe a coincidence Toyota used a similar design on there little 22RE? Everyone agrees they make good stuff, even if your a hardcore domestic guy, LOL.

How long do we have to wait for Holley to release a universal mass air EFI anyway? If you happen to know Fords, I'd love to make what I got work, but probably need to move over to a different forum as we're veering off topic, LOL. Thanks.