Thread: New install, won't startup.

Default New install, won't startup.

I just installed a Holley Sniper (replacing a Holley Truck Avenger carb) on a 1966 Ford Bronco with a 408 (351W) and Edelbrock top end package.

New Sniper install with dual sync distributor won't run. On my initial try, it ran for a few seconds and died. On subsequent attempts it started backfiring in all directions; out the exhaust, through the throttle body, and through the crankcase, sending my PCV valve and breather cap into orbit. I attempted to set the static timing to 15°, and that resulted in an instant backfire out the exhaust.

When I stop cranking, it will run for a second and just stumble out. If I try to give it some throttle while cranking, the stumbles and backfires persist. I have followed and verified the installation and setup instructions for the dual sync distributor. Pulled #1 plug to verify I was on the compression stroke. Plug did not appear to be wet.

I have three pink wires (distributor adapter, coil driver and the pink from the 7-pin) going to 12V ignition, and a separate 12V ignition going to the coil. The gray wire from the coil driver is going to the (-) of an ACCEL DFI 75607 coil. The white wire on the 10-pin goes to the white wire of the coil driver, black from coil driver is directly attached to the battery (-). The main + & - are going directly to the battery posts. The initial setup screen on the display checks out OK. When cranking it takes a second to sync with the distributor and an RPM signal is seen on the display.

I have a Walbro in-tank fuel pump with the recommended Holley fuel filter in place. The fuel feed is on the drivers side, the return is coming out of the regulated side of the throttle body unit. Any ideas? Thanks, appreciate it! James

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I think if you're running the Dual Sync Distributor you should set the static timing at 50°, not 15°.

You shouldn't use the "Static Timing Set" at 50°. That's too much ignition timing advance for the engine. Ignition Reference Angle - yes, Static Timing Set - no.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I removed an MSD mechanical distributor, was thinking about swapping that back in, but it looks like I'd need to rewire the Accel 6A box back inline for that to work. Is there anyway to test the distributor? How does it work, physically?

Quote Originally Posted by jxu109 View Post
    When cranking it takes a second to sync with the distributor and an RPM signal is seen on the display.
    Since the Data Monitor does display RPM, and if the two LEDs flash, I'd say the Dual Sync Distributor is working.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gI4FDfU2sI (Sniper EFI - Dual Sync Distributor Installation Tech Video)

Ensure the ignition timing is synchronized. Testing the MSD CDI box Points Output - white wire triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)

Well, I guess it's time to check the balancer marks for accuracy.

I'm convinced it's fuel, and way too much of it. Possible stuck brand new injector? I can get it to run for about 5 seconds. Then it cuts out, I unplug fuel pump relay, let it clean out, then plug it back in. Rinse & repeat, if you get my drift.

Called tech support and they need me to do a fuel pressure test, which I'm certainly not opposed to. But I need some suggestions on how to connect one of these test kits without cutting up my fuel lines. Suggestions anyone?