Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holley Terminator Idle Hanging

Quote Originally Posted by Silentbullett View Post
    Let me start over. The car idles perfect when it's hot or cold. It's when you drive the car and when I push in the clutch, it hangs at whatever RPM the engine was running at the time; and it will stay there until either pull over & restart the engine or put it in 5th gear and let it bog. The IAC when it hangs is at 25% same as it's set, and TPS is at 0%, but it's giving itself fuel.
    This is an IAC tuning problem. This exact thing happened in my Cougar when I was fiddling with it one day. Lower your IAC Hold. If the TPS is going to zero, then your throttle blades are closed, which also means your MAP is at idle level, or lower. Idle speed is not going to magically go up without airflow, no matter how much fuel it's getting. Andrew

I want to thank you fellas for all the advice an help, but I've tried many different steps, and have read many articles, and so has the Holley Techs tried to help this situation. Kinda looking like going back to a carburetor.

I need a definitive answer to the question in post #6. If you temporarily block off the IAC air inlet port with a strong piece of tape, does the engine run properly? Yes or no?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Blocking the IAC off changes nothing. The car idles perfect, it just hangs when I let out of the fuel.

Blocking the IAC off changes nothing. The car idles perfect, it just hangs when I let out of the fuel.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you have no idea how EFI works. The computer makes fueling decisions based on a number of parameters, most importantly MAP (vacuum) & RPM. There are also a lot of other parameters that are taken into account, such as TPS, coolant temp, air temp, etc.

If, as you say, blocking off the IAC does nothing, then it's entirely possible that your IAC is bad. You can easily test the IAC. With the key in the RUN position (engine OFF), and the ECU ONLINE, you can change the IAC Parked Position (in the Idle ICF) and watch it moving in its hole in the throttle body. Setting the value of IAC Parked to zero will close it, and a value of 100% will fully open it. The difference between the two positions is obvious.

I suggest you take your car to someone who understands EFI and let them look at it. It's a shame to spend all this money and then throw up your hands in defeat. Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    If, as you say, blocking off the IAC does nothing, then it's entirely possible that your IAC is bad. Andrew
    If blocking off the IAC air inlet port does nothing, then the problem isn't with the IAC valve.
    The engine should idle & run fine without it, especially since he claims the engine idles fine.

You do realize that the IAC valve is not just for idle, right? It affects engine deceleration too.
    So IF you actually tried blocking off the IAC air inlet port, then post your Global File and datalog.

For further assistance, post your Global File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files must be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post.
    Your Global File is in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Global Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice. Also, ensure all this is right:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Funny, I have no idea how EFI works, but yet a few shade tree mechanics fixed this issue that Holley techs could not even start...LMAO.

So what was the problem?

The problem was fuel distribution; a simple 1/2 inch spacer fixed this issue.