Thread: What To Expect As Your Sniper Self-Tunes (And Best Practices)

Default What To Expect As Your Sniper Self-Tunes (And Best Practices)

A customer who has had his Sniper EFI System up and running for some time on his daily driver texted me this question over the weekend:
    "...I've noticed two things: CL Comp % was negative at times and IAC% goes to 0 at idle now when it was set at 5% at idle before."
    This sort of question seems to be common among Sniper EFI users who've moved through the big part of their Learning and I thought it might be helpful to post something about it.

Both of these situations are not only normal, but good. The default tunes provided by the Wizard are on the rich side. That makes sense, since being a bit rich and letting the ECU tune itself to a leaner setting is always preferable. Since the default fuel table is a bit rich, you can get used to seeing negative numbers not only in the Closed Loop Compensation but also in the Learn Table. In general, you expect the CL Comp % to start as a double-digit negative number (though in a few places it may be positive initially.) As the Learn Table starts to create a base-plus-Learn that is more accurate, that CL Compensation % will start to decrease to single digit numbers and then come closer & closer to zero. Similarly, as the ECU Learns, the engine will operate more efficiently at all RPM levels, including at idle. That being the case, the unassisted idle (the idle the engine achieves without any input from the IAC) may increase to the point where no IAC is required.

Best Practices:
    As soon as your Sniper EFI System starts making progress on Learning, it's important that you do two things. First, save a copy of your configuration with a name that makes sense to you so you can recognize it if you need it in the future. Then, Transfer Learning To Base. You can let the ECU smooth it when it asks, or you can go in and smooth it yourself if you prefer, but either way it should be smoothed out. You now have a known-good tune to which you can return if you need. Repeat this transfer, smooth & save process from time to time. If you live in a place where there are big climate changes or if you drive in different elevations, you might want to save a configuration file for different conditions. Remember that WBO2 sensors are a wear item and will eventually fail. In the event your WBO2 fails while you're on the road, you can simply disable Closed Loop, clear your (now corrupted) Learn Table, and drive home where you can install a new sensor and re-enable Closed Loop.

If you see your IAC consistently running at 0% during idle, then simply follow the idle speed setting instructions posted here.
    I'd love to see others post some of their Sniper EFI System best practices here. What's working for you?
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com, including a the
    full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

Quote Originally Posted by cmyer
    If you see your IAC consistently running at 0% during idle then simply follow the idle speed setting instructions posted here.
    I'd love to see others post some of their Sniper EFI System best practices here. What's working for you?
    I couldn't find tape that's up to the challenge for setting the idle like you suggested. So I use an old spark boot, capped off one end, and lube it with a little soap. It conforms nice & tight in the triangular IAC hole with no leaks, and I keep in the car just in case I ever need it on the road.