Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxygen Sensor? Fails way too early.

Default Oxygen Sensor? Fails way too early.

Two months ago I installed a Sniper EFI on a stock 1968 Ford 302. I had some issues with setup in that it would stall during deceleration with a manual transmission, which was worked through and did end up seeming OK. After this initial setup, the car was parked in the garage with the battery disconnected until today. I started it and it loaded up, ran very rich, produced black smoke, wouldn’t hardly run, and would stall. The A/F Ratio read a steady and unchanging 35.6 the whole time.

1) It seems the WBO2 sensor has failed? Does this seem like a proper diagnosis?

I have read a number of posts related to failing WBO2 sensors. This worries me a lot. This car does sit for periods of time. If this is an indication that I will need to install a new WBO2 sensor each time I use the car ($120 plus shipping & tax!- Do I carry a box of O2 sensors with me?), this system will very quickly become a big liability. I'm looking for thoughts & solutions.

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I would try the heat sink bung extender that everybody talks about. You might want to make sure that the WBO2 sensor is mounted at the correct angle. My understanding is the more towards the top the better. That makes sense since water will migrate towards the bottom. I had an WBO2 sensor fail, I called Holley, they were great and sent me a new one in just a few days. Holley did tell me to make sure that the exhaust wasn't leaking around the WBO2 sensor, or bung.

My original sensor died in much the same way. Holley sent me a replacement and it's been fine ever since. Ironically, I run 20% leaded race gas NOW, but didn't when the sensor failed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRV6 View Post
    I would try the heat sink bung extender that everybody talks about.
    Yes, the Innovate Motorsports HBX-1 Heat-Sink Bung Extender works extremely well. I simply don't use a WBO2 sensor without one.
    I've been successfully using HBX-1 Heat-Sink Bung Extenders for many years. They work great with Bosch or NTK WBO2 sensors.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7816#post57816 (Related Forum Thread)

You might want to make sure that the WBO2 sensor is mounted at the correct angle. My understanding is the more towards the top the better.
    Yes, near straight up is best mounting position.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I ordered a replacement WBO2 sensor as well as the HBX-1 Heat-Sink Bung Extender. I installed both. I reloaded the last Config File and also went through the initial setup. The WBO2 sensor initially reads "Heating" and then immediately reads an A/F Ratio of 35.6:1 and does not change. Engine reacts just as before, surges, loads up, smokes and then quits. What do I do?

Check your harness going to the WBO2 sensor. If it's touching the header it will melt and you will get AFR 35.6 and it will run terrible. Don't ask me why I know this for a fact.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. First thing I did was to check the harness. It was carefully installed and it has no damage at all anywhere.

Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).

I'm experiencing similar issues with AFR reading stuck at 35.6 after sensor heat up. Engine ran great on 2500 mile road trip through all west coast states. On my way home, stopped at a friends for an hour, went to startup again and AFR was stuck 35.6. Remembering my research during install, shut it down and disabled Closed Loop. Ran great again because I had plenty of Learning on current tune. Got home and parked it. Replaced WBO2 with 17025 sensor and reset to base map using Wizard (I should have backed up my Learned tune first). Display still reads 35.6 AFR after all this. I either have an ECU issue or an upstream of WBO2 connector harness issue. How can I troubleshoot either one? I plan to contact Holley tech as well.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast