Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% TPS, 108 psi oil pressure & 108 psi fuel pressure, won't recal.

Lightbulb 100% TPS, 108 psi oil pressure & 108 psi fuel pressure, won't recal. SOLVED!!!

So I left the ECU power on and ran the battery down to 2.4V. Yeah dumb mistake, but I did it. I recharged the battery and drove the car with some strange idle behavior. No laptop connected. Drove it home after a few restarts from stopping at the parts store. Changed the oil and went to take a look. All I see is TPS 100% and oil & fuel are maxed out just connecting to the ECU. I cannot calibrate the TPS either, since it is maxed out with the throttle closed. Not sure what to do here, but I'm thinking the ECU got corrupted when the battery ran down with it on. I'm trying a reflash of the V4 4.0.26 firmware to see if that fixes it. Anyone see this before? Leave it to me to do something stupid like leave the ECU switch on.

Update: Completely powered off the ECU, pulled main fuse also. Reflashed the ECU, which did say it was successful with no change. Pretty much DOA now. Turns out every sensor is maxed out CTS, MAT & MAP. If I disconnect the sensors individually, they just error as expected or no change like the MAT & MAP. Really need some help as to what has happened. Paul
    Attachment 2399
    Last edited by Paul P; 08-20-2018 at 11:45 AM.

The CTS & MAT are thermistors, they only share the Sensor Ground. Since the TPS, MAP, Fuel & Oil sensors share the same +5V & Ground, I'd disconnect each sensor one at a time (laptop "Online" with ECU), and see if one unplugged sensor rectifies the fault.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ensor-Problems (Related Forum Thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

What about the MAT & CTS all reading error too? I'll check them, but all sensors are reading Max or Err.

Well they all share the same ground too, so that's a clue.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Strange. I unplugged the sensors reading erroneously (except for the MAP which was reading correctly) one at a time, and no change to the remaining sensors. Eventually all were unplugged. Plugged them all back in and one at at time, they came back up normally. Any thoughts? 87696 sec of run time 24.36 hours. Not a lot of time really. Grounds are very good. This HP EFI system replaced a Pro-Jection that ran perfect since 1993, just didn't have enough to feed the new setup. If you know how many people had problems because of grounds with those systems, you know mine had to be good. I'm obsessed with making sure I have good grounds, they can cause all kinds of problems.
    Last edited by Paul P; 07-31-2017 at 08:45 AM.

After getting all the sensors back to normal and just checking it with the laptop a day later to see if it remained OK, I let it sit for a week. I drove the car today and the TPS was 0% when starting the car, but as I drove it, the TPS crept up to 7-8% with the throttle closed. Idle sucked as you can imagine. I did perform another TPS Autoset, but I don't have a lot of confidence this is not going to return. Anyone had this issue or is my TPS junk after 24 hours of use? I'm stumped. There is no change to the TPS% with the oil & fuel pressure sensors unplugged. Has not had any issues since installation until now. Stumped?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    I drove the car today and the TPS was 0% when starting the car, but as I drove it, the TPS crept up to 7-8% with the throttle closed.
    I would replace the TPS sensor (LINK/LINK).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....=2760#post2760 (Replacement Sensors For Holley EFI - Auto Parts Store)

Ordered a TPS and then resynced the TPS in the car. It hasn't changed now. I think it knows I ordered a replacement. Some things I can recommend is if this happens:
    Obviously charge the battery.
    Before doing anything else pull the battery connections for the ECU and touch the leads together. This way any strange stored memory will be cleared.
    Reconnect and see what you've got. You will likely have to do at a minimum a TPS Autoset.
    Last edited by Paul P; 08-18-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Went to the track yesterday. Car just didn't run 100% on the top end. Still ran a 10.78 @ 122, but laboring in 3rd gear. I had Learning turned on, but it just couldn't get it right after a couple passes. I had datalogging turned on for the last pass but when I shut the laptop it turned it off, so I lost any information I could've gathered there. I get home and it's idling high then back to normal. Looked at the HP EFI Gauge Panel and the TPS was still creeping up to 7% by itself very intermittently, but 0 to 2 or 3% more often, but not constant. The other thing was the IAC was at 79% with idle as high as 2500 RPM on occasion too without the TPS changing. AFR normal at target and adjusting as it would normally. Is the ECU to blame or grounding? I'm going to look into it again, but have really solid grounds. Previous Holley Pro-Jection EFI was on the car before for 20+ years with no issues, and we know how many people complained about those analog systems with grounding likely being the culprit in many cases. I have some System Logs I will take a look at also that were taken during this time.

This seems like an IAC electrical interference issue to me. Ensure the spark plug wires (or any other high voltage wiring) aren't too close to the IAC motor/wiring.
    This is usually an electrical interference issue, but you can try replacing it if you'd like: Standard Motor Products AC416 (TBI, MPFI, Terminator & Sniper) or Holley 543-105.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast