Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Filter

Default Pre-Filter

I'm going to run a Sniper on a '69 Ford Bronco, not a lot of frame rail room to mount things. How necessary is a pre-filter? I have the 12-890 pump and a 10 micron fuel lab post-filter, all hooked up with braided lines and AN fittings. Do I need to run a pre-filter, or can I get away without it? It's a frame off restoration, so no concern about rust or debris in the tank (at least not yet). I've purchased a 162-564 pre-filter, but not sure if I have to run it or not?
    Last edited by hokievet; 07-10-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Yes, you must use a pre-filter. Two EFI fuel filters are required:
    Before fuel pump - 100 micron pre-filter. (Or the OEM in-tank sock filter.)
    After fuel pump - 10 micron post-filter. (40 micron is for carburetion.)
    http://documents.holley.com/holleyfu...ems_chart1.pdf (Fuel System Selection Chart)
    http://documents.holley.com/flyer_ho...el_systems.pdf (Holley Fuel Systems Brochure)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....nts-amp-Clamps (Read 2nd quote box.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks for the response. I went ahead and ran it like you said. Two additional questions.
    1. I see the Sniper is back ordered three months. Are they revamping it (making changes), or have they just sold out and pre-sold a ton of units and are trying to catch up?
    2. I'm running braided stainless line with AN fittings. I put the Holley 162-564 on inner frame rail, about 4 inches in front of muffler. I'm unsure how to post pictures, but should that give me enough clearance, so as not to vaporize/boil the fuel in the lines?
    Last edited by hokievet; 07-12-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hokievet View Post
    1. I see the Sniper is back ordered three months. Are they revamping it (making changes), or have they just sold out and pre-sold a ton of units and are trying to catch up?
    This isn't my department, but I know they just sold out. The Sniper is very popular.

2. I'm running braided stainless line with AN fittings. I put the Holley 162-564 on inner frame rail, about 4 inches in front of muffler. I'm unsure how to post pictures, but should that give me enough clearance, so as not to vaporize/boil the fuel in the lines?
    If in doubt, install a heat shield between the exhaust and the fuel pump. You shouldn't wrap an electric fuel pump with heat resistant tape, because it generates its own heat. Wrapping it would just trap the heat in and cause it to run hotter. (I know you didn't imply this.) A heat shield between the exhaust pipe and the fuel pump is better, if you need one.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

It's my 100 micron filter that's close and in question, not the fuel pump. The pump is on the other side of the frame rail, where an auxiliary tank used to be, so it's well guarded. So, what are your thoughts on that?

Also, an additional question. The 12-890 pump is REALLY loud, is that normal? Making a whining/screaming noise. However functions as it should, I'm just not used to how dang loud that thing is.
    Last edited by hokievet; 07-12-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hokievet View Post
    It's my 100 micron filter that's close and in question, not the fuel pump. The pump is on the other side of the frame rail, where an auxiliary tank used to be, so it's well guarded. So, what are your thoughts on that?
    Same thoughts, I meant to type fuel filter.

Also, an additional question. The 12-890 pump is REALLY loud, is that normal? Making a whining/screaming noise. However functions as it should, I'm just not used to how dang loud that thing is.
    No, that's not normal. A noisy fuel pump suggests cavitation to me, a suction/pickup/plumbing problem, or a voltage problem. Also, ensure your fuel tank is properly vented (LINK).

Also, the Holley 12-890 fuel pump is not fully compatible with pump gasoline.
    The newer "pump gasoline" (hot fuel handling) Holley fuel pumps are Walbro (internally).
    The E-85/Race Gas/Diesel capable Holley fuel pumps are made be Delphi (internally).
    The newest Holley brushless fuel pumps are made by TI Automotive (internally).
    http://documents.holley.com/flyer_ho...el_systems.pdf (Holley Fuel Pump & Filter Catalog)
    http://documents.holley.com/holleyfu...ems_chart1.pdf (Holley Fuel System Selection Chart)

I was not aware of that. I do run 5 gallons of 110 into 18 gallons of 93, is that sufficient?
    Will it prematurely fail? It's a show truck, and doesn't get driven often. I've put 500 miles on it in a year and a half.
    Last edited by hokievet; 07-12-2017 at 08:34 AM.

I'm not sure, since it's still mostly pump gasoline. However, this wouldn't be a problem until the fuel system gets hot anyway.
    A noisy fuel pump suggests cavitation to me, a suction/pickup/plumbing problem, or a voltage problem. Maybe the pre-filter is too far away.

Pre-filter is 18 inches of braided line away, and that's three feet of line to the tank. I see you have a 79, so you likely know these early Broncos and how little room there is. Is there a risk of using this pump as is, is it hazardous, fire wise or something? Or will it just fail prematurely?

If the fuel pump is a problem, it will just fail prematurely. I mounted my custom fuel pump module on the fuel tank frame crossmember like THIS. My suction line is very short.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast