Thread: 1979 Trans Am

Default 1979 Trans Am

Here are some pictures of my 1979 Trans Am. I'm running a Holley Sniper EFI, a Holley Dual Sync Distributor, and a Holley gas tank with submersible fuel pump. I also removed the 4 speed and put in a Tremec 5 speed, and I put in a hydroboost brake system. The engine is a 400 Pontiac with an Eagle stroked crank and bored .035 over. It's 461 cubic inches now with KRE ported aluminum heads. It always ran great, but it runs a lot better with the Sniper EFI.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	2351 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	2352 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	2350 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	2353

Nice car & workmanship. What crossmember kit did you use for the Tremec 5 speed transmission conversion? It looks like a big beefy piece of aluminum.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Yes, the crossmember is a big piece of aluminum. I got it with the Tremec kit for the 1979 Trans Am. I bought the kit from American Powertrain.

Welcome Dave. That's just about the tidiest garage I've ever seen! (With mine, I open the door and start climbing over things.)
    Andrew

Thanks for the welcome. I just built this pole barn because my other two are packed full of stuff. I'm very selective of what I let into this one. I have a 12' ceiling on the other end with a hoist.

Hello Dave, I searched Google for some info on a 461 with Holley Sniper EFI. Just curious what an owner with a 400 stroker would say about the system. I’m leaning towards dropping the carb for EFI on my build. I’m running a forged 461 with 62 heads. 12 to 14:1 compression & E85 all the time. Any input is greatly appreciated.