Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Replacement Regulator

Default Bad Replacement Regulator

I'm so pissed right now! My regulator was showing 95 psi constantly, so I called Holley for a replacement. I swapped out the old regulator today, but it's even worse now. Now, my PSI bounces from 60-90 and pegs over 100 at times. I tightened the 4 screws to snug when I put the new regulator in, but 1 of them stripped out while I was trying to take the "new" regulator back out, so now I'm stuck with another bad regulator in the unit that I can't get out.

Did the new fuel pressure regulator come with a new cover? Did you use it? What kind of return line do you have? Are you sure the return line is not restricting flow?

I used the new regulator & cover. I have the factory return line that came with the Sniper Master Kit, and I can blow freely through the return line. The only thing that changed was the regulator & cover.

That is strange. First thing I would suggest (and I'm a relative EFI newbie) is eliminate the tank return, and run a appropriate hose from the return to a fuel jug of some type, and try run that for a short time to rule out issues with the return setup. I did this with a few meters of hose and a Jerry can and found a blockage in my return line when I was running my EZ-EFI setup. If the problem remains, then are we 100% on the fuel gauge you're using to be accurate?

Regarding the stripped out screw, the Loctite in use is strong. You may need to sacrifice the stripped screw, and use some kind of pliers to get it out then find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by memphis View Post
    Regarding the stripped out screw, the Loctite in use is strong. You may need to sacrifice the stripped screw, and use some kind of pliers to get it out then find a replacement.
    If the Allen screw is stripped, and the head is against the FPR cover, there might not be enough to grip with pliers.
    If so, drill out the head of the screw, remove the FPR cover, then use pliers to unscrew the remaining screw shank.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I made a comment on here about the likelihood of people stripping screws out when fixing the regulators. I used an an electric impact driver to get mine loose without damage. But not everyone will have one of those handy.

I would check your new cover against the old one. The first one Holley sent me had no rubber snubber at all. The second cover they sent had the snubber and it was a tad shorter like it was supposed to be. But by then, I had already ditched the Sniper regulator and used one at the fuel tank and blocked off my Sniper return.

I think most disassembly/reassembly problems occur from trying to replace the FPR with the TBI unit still on the engine.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Mine was on my kitchen counter and it sure made using a 1/4 impact easier, LOL. I could tell they used a threadlocker, I was also surprised they didn't issue any replacement directions. New screws with locker or lock washers should be included, IMO. A fuel leak at the FPR could be a real issue.

Well, I swapped in another regulator and now it's reading at 70 PSI constantly. I know it's supposed to be at 60 PSI, but at this point I'm ready to just call it good enough.

How good is your gauge? I think I would be calling it good also at 70 psi, as long as the return line has sufficient flow. I have a feeling there are a few Holley Sniper users running 70-100 + psi unknowingly.