Thread: 5.4L 4V Timing Change During Crank Issue

Default 5.4L 4V Timing Change During Crank Issue

OK so I have a 5.4L 4V Modular engine with HP EFI, LS coils, and Hall-Effect sensors for crank & cam sensors instead of the factory sensors, because I was having crank & cam signal issues with the stock sensors. Now I have a known tune from 5.4L 4V that runs & drives. But when trying to verify timing during cranking, it reads different timing every time the timing light goes. Trying to figure out what the issue is, I have the timing set at 15° for cranking, and when turning over the timing goes from 15° degrees, and will change 80 or more degrees advanced every time the timing light fires off. I have verified the cam timing has been properly setup and have no internal engine issues. Thanks, Dustin Clemens

Some timing lights don't work well at cranking speeds. Try another timing light.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Tried a different light, timing looks to be correct now with no fluctuations. So now I'm having a no fire situation still. Not sure what could be causing it. I took System Logs to make sure that the crank & cam signals are there, and have taken datalogs also. Nothing looks out of place to me or a few other friends that have & use Holley successfully.

TPS Autoset? http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yes, I did a TPS Autoset. And I've also been through the no-start checklist.

Quote Originally Posted by 521stroker57 View Post
    Yes, I did a TPS Autoset. And I've also been through the no-start checklist.
    Post the tune, a System Log and a normal datalog. Without them, everything is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 521stroker57 View Post
    Tried a different light, timing looks to be correct now with no fluctuations. So now I'm having a no fire situation still. Not sure what could be causing it. I took System Logs to make sure that the crank & cam signals are there, and have taken datalogs also. Nothing looks out of place to me or a few other friends that have & use Holley successfully.
    Have you done a firing order flip? Basically rotating four places.
    Needs to be 6-5-4-8-1-3-2-7 because the stock cam sync is in the wrong spot.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I hope so: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....m-Sensor-Setup (Scroll down to "2.3 Special Cases", "Case 1: Ford Modular Setup in Custom Ignition Parameters".)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (CNP/COP/DIS & single coil/distributor ignition synchronization verification & troubleshooting information at the end of post #1.)