Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: REALLY Bad Fuel Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCajun View Post
    I'm thinking that the problem is my Texas engineered Duraspark distributor.
    Just retrofit a Hall-Effect geartooth type sensor (no magnet required - LINK) in that distributor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

2. Default

Would this require another phasing procedure? This might actually solve my problem with both the ignition AND the erratic fuel pressure. I don't think my regulator is toast, though. I cracked the return line -AN fitting and it did have flow.
    Last edited by FrozenCajun; 07-03-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Would this require another phasing procedure?
    Not necessarily another phasing procedure (if you use the same Ignition Reference Angle), but you'll have to slightly turn the distributor to synchronize the idle timing, and adjust the Inductive Delay to synchronize the timing at higher RPM. However, since "Holley Dual Sync" is the only Sniper Hall-Effect sensor option, I'd confirm this will work with Holley Tech. (Although, I think it will.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

4. Default

I really appreciate your input here. I never would have thought of this as an option. I guess as long as I have this thing pointed at one of the "spokes" on the reluctor wheel, it really won't matter how it's phased as long as base (idle) timing is set correctly. This would also fix the problem I sometimes have during hot starts with starter kickback from too much advance. Danny, you DA MAN!!! Thank you!

You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

6. Default

Well, the verdict is in. The GM large cap HEI fixed it. I don't have timing control right now, but that's fine as long as the darn thing runs. I would have gone the Hall-Effect route if one had been available in my area. Once I get to Louisiana and can buy an MSD distributor for the thing, I'll get timing control back. For now, it runs really well. I just changed the IGN type to coil in my GCF and fired it off. Here are a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure. Now to fix the fuel mileage.

Once I get to Louisiana and can buy an MSD distributor for the thing, I'll get timing control back.
    Which MSD distributor are you referring to? Hopefully not one with a magnetic pickup sensor.

8. Default

I'll probably have to get one with a magnetic pickup and modify it for the Hall-Effect sensor.

I'll probably have to get one with a magnetic pickup and modify it for the Hall-Effect sensor.
    You can lockout the GM large cap HEI advance mechanism and use it for timing control. Will save you big $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Grip View Post
    You can lockout the GM large cap HEI advance mechanism and use it for timing control. Will save you big $$$.
    Yes, but then he still might have magnetic pickup (RPM signal) problems. Maybe not, so it might be worth trying first.

In my opinion, if a Sniper EFI user isn't familiar with the Magnetic Ignition Type "Minimum Signal Voltage" & "Filtering" parameters (in System Parameters/Engine Parameters/Ignition), then they have no business using a magnetic pickup type distributor. This is the problem with a magnetic pickup distributor, there's more tuning work/adjustment involved. Hall-Effect sensors are "set & forget", very easy to use. So they should purchase the Holley Dual Sync Distributor.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11259.pdf (Sniper EFI Help File - "Engine Parameters/Engine/Magnetic", Page 18)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast