Thread: SBF V8 Volvo

Default SBF V8 Volvo

Hello all, I've V8 swapped a Volvo wagon with a '97 Ford Explorer 5.0, warmed up with Ford Racing GT40X heads and E303 cam, and some modified Mustang Tri-Y headers. Backed by a 4R70W transmission with a TCI Saturday Night Special torque converter.

I'm running the Engine/Trans off the stock Explorer EEC-V system currently with a box SCT tuner for an Explorer, but I know I'm not getting the most out of this engine, and it's getting pretty horrible MPG.

I've worked with older GM OBD1 systems in the past, I currently have a '71 Opel running on Megasquirt 2, and I attempted to work with the Explorer EEC-V via a Moates QuarterHorse on the Volvo swap. But the 5.0 EEC-V systems were only used on the Explorer, so tuning support is limited.

I'm seriously considering moving to the Holley Dominator ECU for the Volvo project, as it will control my 4R70W and be adaptable if/when I decided to add boost, swap to a hotter/stroker SBF, or swap over to an LSx.

I guess I've got to get with a sales/support person and see what wiring package I'm going to need. Since it's an Explorer EEC-V 5.0, I have a crank & cam sensor, so I should be able to run full sequential injection and the Explorer wasted-spark coil packs (or retrofit COP). I'll probably have to get a universal unterminated harness and do it all from scratch.

Most people find this document very helpful:
    http://documents.holley.com/efi_sele...chart62914.pdf (Holley HP & Dominator EFI Component Selection Guide)
    With the Dominator EFI, everything is sold separately. Use Summit Racing's shopping cart for a total price.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.