Thread: Potentially buying Avenger EFI, have Qs

Dartordemon Guest

Default Potentially buying Avenger EFI, have Qs

I've been sorting between different efi options and I'm close to settling on the holley avenger system, but i have some questions about the capabilities of the system.

1. I'll be putting this on a mopar small block. Does the system still allow for ignition control with a mopar ignition system? If not the stock distributor, would it work with one of the magnum distributors that are controlled by the computer?

2. Is the system tunable for E-85?

3. Does the ECM allow for a multi-port upgrade if i ever decided to upgrade down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Dartordemon View Post
    1. I'll be putting this on a Mopar small block. Does the system still allow for ignition control with a Mopar ignition system? If not the stock distributor, would it work with one of the magnum distributors that are controlled by the computer?
    I'm not familiar with Mopar distributors, however, we discussed it here:
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...65311/#2065311 (This may answer your question.)

Does this distributor have a magnetic VR sensor? If so, Hall-Effect sensor(s) are preferred.
    A magnetic pickup can only be used if running DIS (eliminating the cap, rotor & adapter).
    However, a Hall-Effect sensor is always preferred, even for DIS applications.

Excerpt from Holley EFI manual:
    NOTE - It is not advised to use a magnetic pickup distributor to directly feed the magnetic trigger input of the ECU. If the
    magnetic pickup distributor is connected to the ECU via the inductive pickup trigger wires, the pickup/rotor/cap phasing
    must be corrected. This operation may require a phaseable cap or rotor or possibly machining to the distributor and is
    therefore beyond the scope of most users. Even with the phasing corrected, the electrical noise inside the cap
    (due to the high voltage cap & rotor terminals) may be strong enough to cause electrical noise interference.
    It is advised to use a crank trigger system or a computer-controlled distributor.

2. Is the system tunable for E-85?
    Holley EFI user-selectable fuel types: Gasoline, E85 & Methanol:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....9676#post29676 (E85 Setup)

3. Does the ECM allow for a multi-port upgrade if i ever decided to upgrade down the road?
    Yes, the ECU is very capable and the Avenger EFI can also be laptop tuned.
    In fact, the Avenger & HP EFI share the same software.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.