Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '94 Mustang Leaning Out & Stalling

So I tried every combination, even ran it off the TFI, and eliminated the ignition box. No change. I swapped the coil and it ran for about 5 minutes, but after sitting overnight, I have the same issues. Car will not run and starts very hard. I'm ready to give up. Car does want to stall more when the fan kicks, but even with fan off it will just die without any warning. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmar512 View Post
    So I tried every combination, even ran it off the TFI, and eliminated the ignition box. No change.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8805#post78805 (Related Forum Thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I do have a new reman Ford distributor and a brand new Motorcraft TFI, as I swapped to a Fox
    body distributor for this swap. I don't think that's the issue. Anything else I can try? Thanks.

I'm wondering if I should try a fox body IAC valve? I'm using the 95-95 unit. What do you guys think?

If you'd like to eliminate the IAC valve as a problem, temporarily block off the IAC air inlet port with a strong piece of tape. Also, ensure the spark plug wires (or any other high voltage wiring) aren't too close to the IAC motor/wiring.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, I'll give that a shot. Do you know of any good Ford IAC base settings for the factory Ford IAC? Not much info I can find. Thank you.

OK, so I got it running good and a steady idle eliminated everything. Car will still die at random. I took it for the first drive today (about a mile), and everything was running perfect until I saw a stall on the display while coasting. Car came to a stop and did two massive backfires. Car did start back up and I got it home. If someone can please take a look at my datalog and let me know if you see something funny. I'm willing to try a Holley dual sync distributor, as I think it's some type of timing issue, but I don't want to keep throwing parts at this if I have a defective ECU. Car never did this prior, and the only mechanical part changed is the distributor. (I tried another and stalling issue is still there, both with OEM components even when bypassing my CD ignition box.) Please let me know what you think as I just want to drive this thing. Thank you. Attachment 2335

I looked at your datalog and the stalling at 189 seconds is due to an excessively lean AFR condition (reaching 30:1 AFR). I didn't see any RPM Errors. You'll have to overlay the datalog onto your Global File and enrich that area of the Base Fuel Table. Also, if you're using the Decel Fuel Cutoff (Fuel ICF, Fuel Modifiers, Fuel Control), I'd temporarily disable it until the engine is tuned.

Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Global File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Global File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Global File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Global File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog & System Log Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)

It went dead while coasting, that's why it went lean. Fuel cutoff is not enabled. Engine was still spinning when this happened off of the throttle, so it was basically a stall with a RPM coast. If you look at the very end of the datalog, I noticed a big RPM spike. That was when the backfire happened. Is there something that told this that the engine was turning?

OK, that makes sense. I'd check your TPS sensor. It's not functioning properly. In the datalogs from post #9, it remained at zero.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast