Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding the Minimum Signal Voltage

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    But then again, the user who was having trouble with the air cleaner states they tried one and still had the issue.
    He's getting electrical interference from the air cleaner base positioned right over the distributor/plug wires. The Holley Dual Sync Distributor will fix the magnetic pickup signal issues.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    Rel3rd, I remember you chimed in on my initial MSD setup thread, and it still appears we're having similar issues with the system. Although my engine is not kicking back. It sounds like you're going to be ditching the MSD for the Holley distributor. For the time being, I'm trying to make mine work, but these threads that keep popping up are making me lose any long term confidence that the MSD setup will continue to work.
    I planned to convert my MSD distributor back to conventional mechanical advance this afternoon, but this 3rd starter is giving me a fight. It's a hybrid from all the leftovers, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 351C Sniper View Post
    I bought an MSD distributor using a discount Holley gave me for being so late on the Sniper EFI last year. It seems simpler & cheaper to use the MSD. But...add the price of a 50 mile ride on a flatbed along with the MSD price, and maybe the reliability of a Dual Sync distributor is worth it.
    I already had my MSD, working great for 3+ years pre-EFI, and I have a trailer with a winch, but point taken.

That makes sense, at least all mechanical will (hopefully) alleviate your issues for the time being. Are you still planning on going back to timing control with the Dual Sync distributor eventually, or just stick with mechanical indefinitely?

I just want to confirm, or not, that the issue is with the MSD & Timing Control. I need a starter drive, and after 12 hours today, not going any further with it for now. I'm using a handheld generated "tune" right now, and as a test, I tried putting the Cranking Timing down to 5°, and it hasn't kicked back yet. I've tried it about 20 times so far. (It was at the default setting of 15°.) My Holley Dual Sync distributor should be here Wednesday, according to FedEx. If it isn't "RIGHT" after that, my next mod is a For Sale sign.

Interesting. Definitely going to watch for what you find, especially after you get your Dual Sync distributor in. I personally think that the problem is not so much in the MSD system itself, but Holley's lack of compatibility with MSD components, since you yourself said that your MSD setup was working fine before the EFI install. Hopefully the Dual Sync distributor will take care of all your issues, as it would be nice to have a properly functioning timing system!

FWIW, with the EFI, (FiTech for 10 months, and Holley Sniper) the MSD also worked great, without the Timing Control. It does run and seems to idle better with the Timing Control.

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Uh Oh. Chris told me 2 hours ago that he had exactly ONE LEFT in stock, so I bought it, and it was supposed to be shipping out today, or so I hope. Was your upside down one from Holley, or EFI System Pro?
    Mine was from EFISystemPro.com, but they checked remaining stock to see if any others had the issue, the gear is easy to flip, but Holley wanted to get it back anyway, so Chris shipped a replacement. I think EFISystemPro must keep a few in reserve?

I guess so? It says mine shipped and is on the way from Florida.

I buttoned up my Timing Control delete today. It cranks fast like it should, and used to, so evidently something regarding MSD/Timing Control makes it start like the timing is stuck at 50° or something? On the settings when using Timing Control, I was at these settings:
    Idle: 30°
    Cruise: 50°
    WOT: 44°
    START/CRANK TIMING: 5°-15° (made no difference)
    FILTERING: Low or High, no difference
    MINIMUM SIGNAL VOLTAGE: .35V-.75V (no difference)
    CRANK To START RPM: 150-500 RPM (no better)

WITHOUT TIMING CONTROL:
    44° total
    33° base (with custom bushing)
    52° "Cruise Timing" (with 8° limited PORTED vacuum advance)

So my car starts very hard with timing control enabled with what should be 5°-15°. Very easy with 33° base, which makes little sense to me.

Rel3rd, what was your Ignition Reference Angle?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Rel3rd, what was your Ignition Reference Angle?
    Sorry. 60° and 140 usec Inductive Delay was to make all readings match at any RPM.