Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sniper With Pertronix

Default Sniper With Pertronix

Hello, I'm wiring up my new Sniper EFI. I have a Pertronix ignition kit inside my distributor that takes the place of the old points. Do I attach the yellow wire to the negative side of the coil?

You didn't state if this is an ECU controlled timing application.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...3726#post83726 (Related Pertronix Distributor Thread)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...timing-control (Related ECU Controlled Timing Thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

If your using an Igniter I, II or III module, you cannot use it to control timing.

Ignitor I. I'm not controlling timing. So do I just hookup yellow to negative coil side and that's it?

That's what the 2nd link in post #2 was for. Yes, yellow wire to coil −, if there's no CD ignition box.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks so much.

You're welcome.

Just an update on my setup. Hooked up yellow wire to negative coil. This does not work with Pertronix ignition. Fried two ECUs trying to figure this out. Kept coming up "Searching For ECU". Put MSD 6AL in car and wired Sniper to tach output on MSD box. Car started up and runs perfect now.

Default How did this turn out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by 493Duster View Post
    Just an update on my setup. Hooked up yellow wire to negative coil. This does not work with Pertronix ignition. Fried two ECUs trying to figure this out. Kept coming up "Searching For ECU". Put MSD 6AL in car and wired Sniper to tach output on MSD box. Car started up and runs perfect now.
    Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've had exactly the same experience with a Summit Ready-To-Run distributor on a Ford FE using a Taylor stock-looking 700 Ohm coil. One ECU "fried". Parts supplier gave me another one, I changed it, handheld, harness, and the second one "fried" just like the first. While following the very first Wizard, the screen was a bit snowy, the inputs were a bit fussy to slide (I.E. CID, RPM). When I hit "start" to upload the configuration, the fuel pump howled for a few seconds then everything went blank. Cycled the key and "searching for ECU" came up.

Holley's installation video and instructions do not mention how to connect Ready-To-Run distributors, so I attached the yellow wire to coil negative. According to Holley tech staff, this is actually supposed to work and not fry the ECU. I wish they had caught this in their instructions, the "quick setup guide" is really pretty brutally minimal. Throughout, the support line staff at Holley have been totally great, but I'm not sure their staff fully appreciate that they have an issue on MSD Ready-To-Run distributors connected to a conventional coil.

I want to know how you got to your third ECU, did you have to send your old ones in first, and did you wire the Pertronix to the 6AL according to the "connecting to MSD Ready-To-Run distributors" wiring diagram with the MSD?
    Last edited by supertruck; 11-20-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Supertruck, I ended up sending the Sniper back to Holley twice and they replaced the ECU each time. When I got it back the last time, I eliminated the Pertronix altogether and went with a regular Mopar electronic distributor and added a MSD box. I left the yellow wire disconnected, hooked purple wire to MSD tach output on box. To be honest with you, after about a month the car stated running weird, having hard starting issues, etc. Took Sniper off and went back to a carburetor. Hope you have better luck than I did.