Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sniper EFI - Truck is now running, first test drive, getting spark knock?

Sounds more & more to me that Holley did not do proper testing with this unit, if these issues are showing up like this. Regardless, this is my air cleaner setup on my engine. I have a plastic 1" spacer on there, as I had to raise my air cleaner to clear the extended throttle linkage I added to make the pedal less stiff. The air cleaner itself is a stock 80s Camaro dual snorkel air cleaner.

Updated the Minimum Sensor Voltage to 0.5V and will give that a try here shortly. I also noticed in the time file that my Ignition Reference Angle was set at 45°, so I set that to 50° to match my current distributor setup. Hopefully this fixes things.
    UPDATE: Looks like a no go, didn't even make it half a mile before the symptoms returned. I'm slightly hesitant to order a Dual Sync distributor because $500 is a lot for a distributor that I "hope" solves my problems, but it's looking like I may need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    I also noticed in the time file that my Ignition Reference Angle was set at 45°, so I set that to 50° to match my current distributor setup.
    You need to recheck the ignition timing synchronization after making changes like that.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Originally I had my truck set for 50°. This is a tune file I'm borrowing from Gadget on here, which was set for 45°. I would assume 50° is 50°, or would this be inaccurate? Regardless, I'm still getting RF interference even with the High Filtering settings.

Originally I had my truck set for 50°. This is a tune file I'm borrowing from Gadget on here, which was set for 45°.
    Well OK, I had no way of knowing that.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

No worries, I know it's hard to keep up with all the builds on here. I think I may just bite the bullet and order a Dual Sync distributor when they become available, and hope that I have better luck with that. I'll post my results when I'm able to get one here & installed. So far, this 'new' tune appears to be absolutely spot on for timing, so if the Dual Sync distributor does indeed solve this issue, it should run excellent afterwards!

What rotor are you running in your distributor, Nick?

I have the adjustable rotor recommended by Holley. I think the part number is 84211.

I have installed two Sniper EFI kits now and I've had to put the non-adjustable rotors in the vehicles to run properly.

However, I seem to have ran into a new problem. It seems to be exactly the same issue this user was having: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ut-new-install

My symptoms are nearly the same. I can be driving along, and suddenly the engine will cut out and the handheld display will show -20 on the TPS setting, and a red dot in the upper right corner of the screen. Depending on how heavy I was on the throttle, it may backfire out the exhaust if I was into it. At one point during my drive, the problem became so bad & constant, that I had to pull over because the truck was basically undriveable. I let it sit & idle and at one point it stalled, but fired right back up. It seemed to drive back home OK, but it would cut out like this once in a while. Also while driving, when it's actually running good, I notice that my TPS reading & MAP reading will both occasionally highlight in yellow. The truck does not need much throttle for cruising, so typically it's between 5-20% when I'm driving, and the MAP reading is typically between 30-50 kPa. I was able to capture a short datalog when this happened, as well as taking a longer datalog while it was running well. I will see if I can figure out how to upload it here so you guys can view it.
    Mine has been fine since getting rid of the MSD distributor (magnetic pickup) & installing the Dual Sync (Hall-Effect), no other changes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast