Thread: 12-876 Filter/Regulator

Default 12-876 Filter/Regulator

Dominator EFI. Aeromotive 340 pump -8AN feed -6AN return. All I can get this regulator to give me is 42 psi. I've taken it out & apart it all seems fine. Put it back in just 42 psi at the rail. If I slightly restrict the return, I get 65 psi no problem. Notice I said slightly. I put a mechanical pressure gauge on it and the EFI is reading correctly. I have the tank down, so I know all of the lines are not restricted or kinked? Ideas? Comments? Thanks.

Aeromotive (FAQs - EFI Fuel Pressure Regulators): "Be careful using a factory OEM style filter-regulator, like those used in the Corvette, if your fuel pump flows more than 250 LPH. The stock part is unable to handle the excess flow provided by high flow Aeromotive fuel pumps, causing false high pressure and reduced fuel pump service life. For high performance applications, most prefer to replace the stock “returnless” fuel rail with an Aeromotive Billet Fuel Rail."
    Danny Cabral: Yes, the Holley EFI 12-875/12-876 Filter/Regulator's fuel pressure regulator (LINK) is the same type of OEM fuel pressure regulator. It's too small to support the high flow volume of a high output fuel pump.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...5989#post95989 (Related Forum Post - Read This!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I get it. The filter is rated for 175 GPH (662.5L), but the regulator is not.

Yes, and 175 GPH is their 2nd largest fuel filter. The filter flows more than the FPR due to its size (for filter life/service longevity). You wouldn't want their 100 GPH fuel filter regardless of fuel flow, because it's too small and would require replacement more often.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

You've got to be joking! Why doesn't this regulator say for stock applications only? I would've never bought this knowing that. This is a very mild setup. Why do they even bother using an -8 ports? Seems like that would give someone the idea that this would be for high performance use, not stock use? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    You've got to be joking! Why doesn't this regulator say for stock applications only?
    I sort of assumed it's for mild fuel pump applications, because I wouldn't trust that small OEM/stock fuel pressure regulator with a high output racing fuel pump.

Why do they even bother using an -8 ports? Seems like that would give someone the idea that this would be for high performance use, not stock use? Wow!
    -8AN refers to the o-ring port thread size (3/4-18). It's large for a non-restrictive transition from filter to hose fitting. Most users will install -6AN fittings (AT985068ERL) & plumbing.

Hey first off, I want to thank you for the reply. I don't want to be a total jerk, but this thing obviously is designed for stock setup. It should state in its description that is for XXX LPH only! It would have saved me countless hours & money trying to figure this out. If everyone uses -6AN, why would it have -8AN? I think that's a sign that's is was designed for HP use. Again thank you for your reply, it has answered what my question was/is. I will move forward with a manual regulator and have to plumb that part of the system AGAIN. This product has been a disappointment. Thanks, again.

You're welcome, and I understand your frustration. However, I'd still inspect the fuel pressure regulator (LINK) to ensure it isn't defective/damaged in any way. Maybe there's fuel system debris holding the seat partially open or something. (?)