Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a fuel pressure gauge inline?

Default Adding a fuel pressure gauge inline?

Just wondering if I wanted to buy a -6AN adapter, if could I just bolt a fuel pressure gauge to the Sniper inline? Would that be the feed (which doesn't make sense, since that's pump pressure) or the return to see what the Sniper Kit is seeing? Or can I not see what the Sniper is seeing? And should run a regulator to regulate what is going in?

Feed line is where it's placed. The regulator "releases" any PSI above its set point.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin264 View Post
    Just wondering if I wanted to buy a -6AN adapter, if could I just bolt a fuel pressure gauge to the Sniper inline? Would that be the feed...
    Yes, on the feed line: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8356#post88356 (Sniper EFI Fuel Pressure Gauge)

...(which doesn't make sense, since that's pump pressure) or the return to see what the Sniper Kit is seeing?
    EFI fuel pumps have a wide range of psi capability; you set the exact pressure you need/want.
    Electric fuel pumps only produce volume, the fuel pressure regulator creates the desired pressure.
    Also, any EFI fuel pump will decrease volume output (GPH flow) as fuel pressure is increased.
    http://documents.holley.com/holleyfu...ems_chart1.pdf (Fuel System Selection Chart)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Working my way through a new Sniper installation, and I'm very glad I installed a fuel pressure gauge. First problem I had was fuel pressure at nearly 90 psi. Ended up finding the return line at the tank was kinked. Not sure if I'd ever known that if not for the gauge.

One good thing is that there have been no reports of leaking fuel fittings. I wouldn't want to find out how far fuel can spray at 90 PSI. It's good to know a properly plumbed system can handle well over 90 PSI. I'll jump the relay and fully check the fuel system before starting the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MrK5 View Post
    Working my way through a new Sniper installation, and I'm very glad I installed a fuel pressure gauge. First problem I had was fuel pressure at nearly 90 psi. Ended up finding the return line at the tank was kinked. Not sure if I'd ever known that if not for the gauge.
    Measuring fuel pressure is one of the basic checks I did even before starting my EFI engine for the first time (LINK). I can't even imagine not doing so. I've never installed an EFI system without verifying fuel pressure. (See post #14 below.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

In my case, the pressure was fine before startup. It was only once the engine was running that pressure spiked up. I'm thinking this is because the running engine was flowing more fuel and that's when the kinked return reared it's head. Without the engine running the kinked line was able to flow enough fuel to keep the pressure down.

My original intention was just to make sure I had the 60 psi from the regulator. It's a little high at 64 psi, but got the car fired today and it ran perfectly!

Good to hear it's running. Another reason to check the fuel rails PSI, is to make sure the return isn't restricted.

I even have two 1˝" fuel pressure gauges permanently mounted on the inner fenderwell of the engine compartment (not on the engine).
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...3173#post63173 (Related Fuel Pressure Gauge Post)
    Check fuel pressure (LINK). You can use THIS and one of THESE fuel pressure gauges at the -6AN fuel feed line fitting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast