Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Global File

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
    Holley Tech?
    No, I meant someone else to help you create your Global File from a base calibration.

I thought I got the plug & play Holley MAP sensor to avoid problems like this, LOL.
    The MAP sensor is EFI hardware. You need someone to help you with the EFI software side of things.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I got ya. I was obviously hoping that picking the sensor from the drop down would rescale the load/fuel tables, but now I know it doesn't. The 14 psi of boost base tune I was trying to use is on the 2 bar MAP as you know. When I look up that sensor, it says it's good for up to 14.7 psi of boost (even though 2 bar is about 29 psi). So I question why this was even chosen as the sensor for that calibration. That being said, and to get the car fired up, is there a 2 bar MAP I can buy at the parts store to work in place of that 538-13? It appears to be some sort of stock GM piece. And who do I turn to for help me get my 3.5 bar setup? I guess I need an installing dealer? Thanks for your help.

When I look up that sensor, it says it's good for up to 14.7 psi of boost (even though 2 bar is about 29 psi). So I question why this was even chosen as the sensor for that calibration.
    2 bar MAP = 200 kPa / 14.31 PSIG - 29.01 PSIA (sea level - forced induction)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....SI-Equivalents (MAP kPa to Boost PSI Equivalents)

Don't confuse PSIG (boost gauge) & PSIA (absolute with atmosphere):
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...Tech%20103.pdf (Read "Gauge Pressure" toward end of page one.)

That being said, and to get the car fired up, is there a 2 bar MAP I can buy at the parts store to work in place of that 538-13? It appears to be some sort of stock GM piece.
    Standard Motor Products AS4 2 bar MAP sensor.
    Standard Motor Products AS210 3 bar MAP sensor.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I got ya. I was obviously hoping that picking the sensor from the drop down would rescale the load/fuel tables, but now I know it doesn't. The 14 psi of boost base tune I was trying to use is on the 2 bar MAP as you know. When I look up that sensor, it says it's good for up to 14.7 psi of boost (even though 2 bar is about 29 psi). So I question why this was even chosen as the sensor for that calibration. That being said, and to get the car fired up, is there a 2 bar MAP I can buy at the parts store to work in place of that 538-13? It appears to be some sort of stock GM piece. And who do I turn to for help me get my 3.5 bar setup? I guess I need an installing dealer? Thanks for your help.
    We're all living at (roughly) 14.7 PSI, depending on elevation. Or 1 BAR, also called an "atmosphere". Ergo, 14.7# of normal atmospheric pressure plus 14.7# boost = 29.4# for a 2 BAR sensor. Russ

Right. I get that and that's good information. So my question was, why would Holley have a base calibration for a 14 psi supercharged engine using a 2 bar MAP sensor? Because 1. An engine capable of 14 psi will probably see more and then the MAP is useless. And 2. You never want to run anything at the very edge of it's resolution. I got the 3.5 bar MAP sensor because I run between 14 & 18 psi, and because it's a pipe thread. I had a problem once with one of those MAP sensors that just takes a hose connection on my old EFI management system.

So my question was, why would Holley have a base calibration for a 14 psi supercharged engine using a 2 bar MAP sensor?
    Because the 2 bar MAP sensor can measure up to 14.31 PSIG.

Because 1. An engine capable of 14 psi will probably see more and then the MAP is useless.
    Then it's simply not a 2 bar MAP sensor application.

And 2. You never want to run anything at the very edge of it's resolution.
    The base calibration is just what you initially use to create your Global Folder.
    When you create your Global Folder, you ensure it's right for your engine.

I had a problem once with one of those MAP sensors that just takes a hose connection on my old EFI management system.
    There are ways to secure the hose onto the MAP sensor.

OK, LOL. Not bitching, just asking questions. I've got New Era Performance near me. I'll see if I can pay them to rewrite my Base Fuel Table based on a 3.5 bar MAP sensor. Is there anything else that needs to be changed? Timing related or anything? Thanks.

OK, LOL. Not bitching, just asking questions.
    I understand, no one implied anything different.

I'll see if I can pay them to rewrite my Base Fuel Table based on a 3.5 bar MAP sensor. Is there anything else that needs to be changed? Timing related or anything?
    Yes, of course. The Base Timing Table too.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #1!)

OK so Tech said to start with the turbo 30 psi base on a 3 bar sensor. He said boost is boost and it will be closer, and I'll get a better feel for rewriting for a 3.5 bar. Do you have a part store number for that GM 3 bar if I want to fire the car on that? It's probably the one I was using on my old system. And for your records, that 2 bar MAP is hard to find by the Standard Motor Products AS4. No one could find or cross it. The new number is Borg Warner EC6001. Good number at Carquest & Advance, though not too readily available. It's older stuff.

Do you have a part store number for that GM 3 bar if I want to fire the car on that?
    Standard Motor Products AS4 2 bar MAP sensor.
    Standard Motor Products AS210 3 bar MAP sensor.

If these numbers are "hard to find", purchase the Holley EFI sensors.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast