Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: High fuel pressure & dry return after fresh install.

My friend just got off the phone with Holley. They are looking into it, already got the proof of purchase forwarded. We should hopefully know more by end of business day. Which is late at night over here, so I probably won't update until tomorrow.
    Non-update update to keep you all in the loop: Holley has agreed to send out a replacement part. I got an "Holley order number", but the order hasn't been processed yet. I hope I'll get a tracking number on Monday.

Kudos to Holley's customer service department for a job well done. The replacement part is on it's way to Germany. If UPS does not drop the ball, I should have the replacement part by Friday, and (hopefully) should be back on the road by Saturday.

So, the parts from Holley did indeed arrive, and it seems like the fuel pressure regulator in itself was not the problem. Here's the replacement parts Holley sent me:

And here's the old regulator cover. You can clearly see that the rubber thingy is 3 or 4 mm (around .15 in) longer than on the new part Holley sent:

Which exalts so much force on the regulator it got physically deformed:

Someone really dropped the ball ever putting these covers on, let alone get these units through QA. But at least Holley made up for their mistake with lightning-fast customer service.

With the new cover and new regulator, the fuel pressure sits exactly where it should be (gauge claims it's 60 psi, but I put that down to the gauge being old and not to good to begin with). The Sniper EFI works great, I already took the car up to 90 MPH, all is fine.
    Last edited by Dr_Grip; 05-07-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Did your new regulator cover have the "rubber thingy" installed? (Sounds like it did, but I can't quite tell by the pic.)
    The one they sent me had no insert and no directions to transfer the old one. In other words, if I was to blow on the street and didn't check this forum, I would have bolted the new parts on and likely had the regulator pop out of its seat at some point. Heck, I could have trimmed the old rubber down a few mm or to whatever they recommended. And saved everyone money because I swear the cover is the same.
    Last edited by Zmann; 05-07-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Yep, the new cover looks identical to the old one. It came with the rubber thing installed and sticking out only .007 or so inches.

Was there a gasket? Perhaps there was a thick gasket before, then it was changed to a thinner gasket, or no gasket at all.

It uses an o-ring (LINK), not a gasket.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I saw the o-ring. I thought it was only for the regulator/filter combination. It would be nice to see an exposed view of the Sniper EFI.
    www.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/holleyefi5_2.2643.jpg
    Looks like a gasket in this picture.
    Last edited by BITE_ME; 05-07-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Should the regulator be checked before installing in the Sniper? I don't know if the o-ring is reusable even if the Sniper is new.

Quote Originally Posted by BITE_ME View Post
    I saw the o-ring. I thought it was only for the regulator/filter combination. It would be nice to see an exposed view of the Sniper EFI.
    www.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/holleyefi5_2.2643.jpg
    That's a poor picture. It might be a Photoshop job from scratch and not even a photo. I studied it before the Sniper arrived and wasn't sure what that smooth AN fitting was. It must be a preproduction rendering because the fuel hose has no detail. That picture does show the regulator as a serviceable part.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holleyefi5_2.2643.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	2186

Quote Originally Posted by BITE_ME View Post
    Look at these pictures: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-510 (Click "Larger Image")
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast