Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: High fuel pressure & dry return after fresh install.

Isn't that snubber a movable part? The regulator on my Toyota has a button under a cover that pops up when the system pressurizes. That button looks similar to this "snubber". There's probably a spring against the snubber that will allow the snubber to move according to the fuel pressure.

I think the spring is inside that disc type fuel pressure regulator. The rubber piece is to hold/support it against the housing.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny is correct, the snubber holds the regulator in it's bore. The snubber is just a solid rubber rod that fits inside the cast receiver tube part of the cover. I'm sure you could pull it out, but it may distort or tear. I've actually seen a picture of a Sniper with the rubber stuck in the return line fitting. That I have no idea how it happened or if it was another rubber snubber that was accidentally caught in the chamber or if it fell out of the cover before install.

Guys, I was also having problems trying to get my Sniper EFI to idle. I called Holley spoke with a tech, and was told that he would need to email me some new instructions on how to fix the problem. While I had him on the phone, I mentioned that I had installed a fuel pressure gauge and it was reading 90 psi. He asked me which unit did I purchase, and immediately said I don't need to send you instructions, I need your address so I can send you a new fuel pressure regulator. He did not ask for proof of purchase or any other questions, he knew the regulator was the problem right off the bat. (Holley knows they have defective fuel pressure regulators on some models.)

The fuel pressure regulators are not defective, it's the rubber snubber in the Sniper housing that's too long and pushes on the regulator case. It could be fixed with a razor blade and some online instructions IMO, but the regulator may have been damaged, so IMO to play it safe they just send out both parts. I now have three covers & three regulators. I'm only using one cover, LOL. I was a little surprised they asked me for proof of purchase since none of these are out of warranty, AFAIK, but all in all they've been good to deal with.

Just to confirm what others have said. I installed a fuel pressure gauge and it read 90 psi. Dang! Thought I was going to have to rework my return line. As a test, I ran a return line straight into a bucket, and still 90,psi. That little pump sure flows a lot! Called Holley tech support and he was very helpful & friendly! He stayed on the line while I pulled the regulator, and checked the screen. Screen is fine and they're sending out another regulator.

Buttoned it back up and the fuel pressure read 100 psi. Dang! That suggested to me that something in that mechanism might be adjustable. Pulled out the regulator again, looked it over, and thought maybe the "dome" of the regulator might have been pushed in. With another FPR inbound, I figured what the heck and started messing with the FPR.

I stuck an allen wrench in the inlet side of the regulator and pushed the "dome" back out as far as it would comfortably go. Assembled carefully without pushing the dome back in. Cranked it up an viola, 60 psi. So it's a pretty easy fix if you even know you have a fuel pressure problem. I'll leave it until the next time I'm under the hood, then swap in the new one. Only real bummer is I've spent a lot of time on my fuel map, and I have a feeling it's going to be do-over time. B.
    Last edited by BrianSanDiego; 08-22-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSanDiego View Post
    Only real bummer is I've spent a lot of time on my fuel map, and I have a feeling it's going to be do-over time. B.
    Yes it will. You were supposed to check the fuel pressure before tuning.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8356#post88356 (Sniper EFI Fuel Pressure Tester/Gauge)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I agree. It's definitely a good idea to check the fuel pressure before doing anything else.