Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High fuel pressure & dry return after fresh install.

Default High fuel pressure & dry return after fresh install.

Greetings from Berlin, Germany! Today, I tried to install the Sniper EFI on my '72 Ford. Sadly, it did not work!

When turning the key, fuel pressure on the intake side immediately reaches 90 psi & more. Return stays dry (routed a hose directly to a Jerry can to make sure the problem's not a blocked return), as if the regulator is shut/clogged.

The engine sometimes starts for half a second from the priming shot, then shuts off again, but mostly it won't fire at all (first log file). The spark plugs are dry, so no fuel is getting injected at all.

Reducing the fuel flow to the Sniper by partly clamping down the supply line gives me three-ish seconds of engine run time (second log file), so the high fuel pressure somehow seems to kill the Sniper - maybe it has a fail safe?

Engine specs: Ford 400M, Edelbrock Performer Cam & Manifold, Stock exhaust.
    Fuel Pump: Bosch 044 (200LPH at 73 psi, 300 LPH free flow, should be OK for a mild build like mine).
    Log files attached.

I already tried the phone support, but gave up after 15 minutes of waiting - international calls still are pretty expensive :-)
    Does anyone here have any ideas or a part number for a replacement regulator? Will opening & replacing the regulator void my warranty?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dr_Grip; 04-26-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Grip View Post
    When turning the key, fuel pressure on the intake side immediately reaches 90 psi & more.
    Stop trying to run the engine with 90 psi of fuel pressure.

The spark plugs are dry, so no fuel is getting injected at all.
    The fuel injectors probably can't open against 90 psi of fuel pressure.

Does anyone here have any ideas or a part number for a replacement regulator?
    I'd first inspect the fuel pressure regulator (LINK) to ensure it isn't clogged with debris.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thank you for the lighting-quick reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Stop trying to run the engine with 90 psi of fuel pressure.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I'd first inspect the fuel pressure regulator (LINK) to ensure it isn't clogged with debris.
    So I can unscrew the cover without voiding the warranty? I chickened out earlier, it's a currently broken $1000 part, after all.
    Last edited by Dr_Grip; 04-26-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Grip View Post
    So I can unscrew the cover without voiding the warranty?
    I don't know, that's not my department.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Well, it is a user-serviceable part, so it should be alright. I'll try tomorrow or Friday.

I agree. I wouldn't be reluctant to fix a fuel or mechanical problem. If it was an electronic problem, I might call Holley about a warranty issue.

Holley sent me a replacement fuel pressure regulator, so I imagine they won't void my warranty if I install it, LOL.
    But be very careful, the fuel pressure regulator cover screws have thread lock and stripping one out is a real possibility.

My fuel psi was also over 90, but my engine would run.
    (How many people don't use a fuel psi gauge and unknowingly running high psi?)
    I finally went to a remote regulator and capped off the Sniper return and this solved my high PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
    (How many people don't use a fuel psi gauge and unknowingly running high psi?)
    Not that many, since you keep asking. Most Sniper EFI users don't have fuel pressure problems. In fact, most Sniper EFI users don't have any problems at all.

There are a few of us who have had the same issue just in the small group here including me. It is an issue and it is something that could easily be checked before they leave. I've had a bad regulator and a screen before the regulator that just would not flow much fuel, and the difference was 20 psi with and without the screen. There could very well be folks out there fighting tuning issues that have no idea what the fuel pressure is, and have no way to test it. I know with mine, when it was high it caused poor idle quality and an off idle stumble that cleared up with fixing the fuel pressure. Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    There could very well be folks out there fighting tuning issues that have no idea what the fuel pressure is, and have no way to test it.
    They can check the fuel pressure; they choose not to. Measuring fuel pressure is one of the basic checks I did even before starting my EFI engine for the first time.
    Check fuel pressure (LINK). You can use THIS and one of THESE fuel pressure gauges at the -6AN fuel feed line fitting. But I'd first inspect the fuel pressure regulator (LINK) to ensure it isn't clogged with debris.