Thread: GM Optispark

Default GM Optispark

Has anyone tried to connect the Holley HP to the GM Optispark distributor? Have an S-10 truck in the shop, with a 350 LT1 and would like to remove the stock ECU and install an HP EFI.

It can be done, but it's better to just replace it with a 58x wheel. There are companies that make replacement trigger wheels that match better with the aftermarket EFI systems.

I'd replace my Optispark once a year to avoid failure on my 480 HP LT4. Good intentions, but poor execution.

If you're going to stay with an Optispark, be sure to buy the expensive MSD version.
    It's going to be setup as a "1 Pulse/Fire" and the cam sync will be Single Pulse.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Vehicle already has a new MSD Optispark installed. Will I need to change the trigger wheel? If so, were can I get one? Did a Google search and didn't see anything.

You don't "need" to change it. But an aftermarket wheel will not fail you like the Optispark always does.
    And an aftermarket wheel will allow for better resolution, which means more ignition & fueling accuracy.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I installed one of those MSD units (admittedly one of the first) and my 7200 RPM LT4 gained a self imposed 6000 RPM limiter. Pulled it off & fired it back to MSD. Stuck with OEM GM units I replaced annually, never an issue. I'd skip the system if there was a work around.

I did a '97 LT1 with HP EFI. Went through 7 or 8 Optisparks. The GM PCM OBD2 is very limited in RPM and not program flexible.
    I went to HP EFI since I have a manual MM6 transmission in a Camaro (also 383/ F1A ProCharger with 15 psi).
    Used a EFI Connection 24x with single pulse cam Hall-Effect sensor(s). It worked well.

They also have a 58x system if you like.
    These EFI Connection systems package well on the old LT1 engine. Inside the timing cover (on '96 and '97 years) on the crankshaft.
    Remember to ring the Hall-Effect sensors as they do not match-up to the HP EFI LS1 diagram. (i.e. swap the power & signal wires.)
    That was a hard problem to solve.

Always use a NTK wideband sensor with HBX-1 bung extender for FI applications. The Bosch sensor failed and flooded the engine.
    Hope this helps. B.