Thread: SD Card Tuning versus Handheld Tuning...Problems, Issues, Advice, Tips?

Question SD Card Tuning versus Handheld Tuning...Problems, Issues, Advice, Tips?

Rather than piggybacking someone else's thread, I posted this one, hoping forthcoming info in it will help myself, and others.
    Obviously, the "Handheld Tuning" is limited, especially when compared to actually being able to "go in" and modify specific parameters, graphs, etc.
    I tried unsuccessfully, several times, to start a NEW TUNE, using the software's BASE CALIBRATION (Street & Strip Cam).

FWIW, my car will RUN & DRIVE FINE, with just a simple base calibration, done through the handheld, with little to no Learn time.
    No matter what I do, as far as trying to do a FRESH "laptop tune", and saving it to the SD card, the tune seems corrupted and will NOT run the car.
    It'll barely start, acting like it's just dumping raw fuel, because it actually IS, just DUMPING RAW FUEL, which renders the "tune" totally unusable, and is aggravating.

On another site, a guy suggested COPYING my known "good tune", then modifying that one, saving it to the SD card with a new name, and trying to UPLOAD it that way.
    Worked like a champ, the problem is, I have/had to keep chasing my tail, trying to FIND how to OPEN a tune from the SD card.
    In fact, trying to do another "test tune", I couldn't open up the modified tune at all. In fact, I think I found the known good, original tune, by accident, LOL.

Is there a video tutorial anywhere, showing how to EASILY copy, paste, read, view, and/or modify tunes using the SD card?
    I have uploaded 3 tunes to Google Drive. Anyone who wishes to, should be able to view them. I'd love to know why the 2nd tune just will not work, no matter what.

MSD TIMING CONTROL is my "known good" tune, originated from the handheld.
    MODIFIED GOOD TUNE is the one made from laptop, which will not run the car.
    and...
    SMOOTHED MSD TIMING CONTROL is the one I did yesterday, using the 1st tune above, and simply modifying it, saving it to the SD card, and uploading to ECU.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zg?usp=sharing

What I've been doing is downloading the tune off the ECU onto the SD card, and modding it and giving it a new name. I started with V1 and I'm now on V10. Seems to work just fine. Jimmy

Yeah, that was the only way I have been able to get a tune modified and reflashed as well.
    Seems to be kinda confusing, for now, having all the software and still not really able to easily use it.
    I watched two Holley videos this morning, specifically about GCFs, and they had nothing to do with the Sniper, as far as the info & instructions given.

The advantage I see with doing it by downloading the tune from the ECU and making small changes to it and driving it, is you keep all the Learned data. Has worked well so far. I'll datalog in the areas I think need work and make changes to the tune just in the ares that need work, smooth the changes and reload the tune to the card. Then load it to the ECU and give it a try. I'll give it 50 miles or so to settle and do the process over if I see issues. Jimmy

That way also allows you to save the last known good copy, just in case something gets out of whack.

Is there a post or video on how to save a tune to the SD card? If nothing else, I would like to have a copy of my current tune.

Go into the handheld and go to Files, Global Configs, and hit Download From ECU. This puts it on the SD card. Jimmy

Has anyone peeked at the tune files to see if they can see any issues?