Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TPS testing? OEM replacement at the auto parts store?

Sniper EFI: Cycling the ignition switch will recalibrate the TPS back to zero.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual, Page 12)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Update: I replaced the TPS and it's now running (idling) like a champ! Looking back, I think it was going out before the hose down, and might have been coincidence it konked out with the car wash. It now idles better than it ever has.
    The ECU set the TPS zero point and no recalibration was necessary. I wanted to let you know it's squared away and thanks for the help!!! Brian.

Hey guys, have a TPS issue thought I'd post here before starting another thread. Went four wheeling today and washed the engine bay on the way home, careful not to directly spray any connections or the unit itself. Everything was fine after I left for about 5 minutes, and then it started playing up for the last few minutes until I got home. TPS wouldn't 0. Cycling ignition did not reset it, kept ranging from 15 to 30% at idle, and now it sits at around 66% as soon as it powers on. I checked the connections starting with the TPS plug and all the connections are dry. No problem there. Also not a mechanical issue throttle is definitely closing all the way. Disconnecting the TPS plug sets it to 0 on the display and it idles like it should.

I assumed straight up it must be to do with water, or has the TPS failed and it's just a coincidence that it was after I washed it? As I said it took a bit of driving before the issue presented itself. Currently trying a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for a few hours, but not that hopeful.
    Last edited by 91chevota; 04-17-2017 at 03:08 AM.

If a TPS Autoset/recalibration doesn't rectify it, replace the TPS. (FYI: Profanity isn't allowed on this forum.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Noted Danny, didn't realize. TPS Autoset/recalibration, are you referring to cycling the ignition? OK replacement TPS it is. I see earlier in this thread there is a link with part numbers for replacements any of those should be fine? To avoid this issue in future, is there a known cause for this sort of failure? Was it likely the water? Going from hot to cold or something (again pretty sure it didn't get any direct spray)? Or just one of those things that sometimes fails for no real reason?

Quote Originally Posted by 91chevota View Post
    TPS Autoset/recalibration, are you referring to cycling the ignition?
    Yes, I keep forgetting we're in the Sniper EFI forum. I have the Dominator EFI.
    Sniper EFI: Cycling the ignition switch will recalibrate the TPS back to zero.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual - "Idle Setting/Throttle Plate Setting", Page 12)

OK replacement TPS it is. I see earlier in this thread there is a link with part numbers for replacements any of those should be fine?
    Yes, that's the point of this forum thread.

To avoid this issue in future, is there a known cause for this sort of failure? Was it likely the water? Going from hot to cold or something (again pretty sure it didn't get any direct spray)? Or just one of those things that sometimes fails for no real reason?
    I've never had a TPS failure with any Holley EFI system I've owned.

I also hosed my intake off at the car wash. I noticed by TPS sensor was cracked afterwards. Must be the hot part & cold water thing. My problem is after replacing the TPS sensor, I no longer have a TPS reading, it stays at zero even at WOT.

With your finger, try moving the lever on the new TPS (key-on/engine-off), with it plugged in but not installed on the throttle body.

If by chance you happen to Wash your engine and your TPS reads 50% or so at idle and won't run, TPS-112 at AutoZone will get you driving again, It also has a lifetime guarantee that also covers stupid things like cold water on hot engine.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....=2760#post2760 (Replacement Sensors For Holley EFI - Auto Parts Store)