Thread: 2004R TCC Setup Questions

Default 2004R TCC Setup Questions

I destroyed the TH400 with the new motor last year. So over the winter I ordered a high performance 200-4R from Extreme Automatics. This unit has a one-wire TCC installed. I'm trying to determine the best way to interface my Terminator to this. I have upgraded to the 3.5" touchscreen display. I do not have A/C, so I can map that pin to run a relay. I'm trying to understand how TCC works with the Terminator. The computer does not know what speed the car is going, nor does it know about the brake switch condition. How does it determine that the TCC needs to be disabled if the only criteria we're using is the Engine RPM, MAP sensor & TPS. Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be? I could most likely use the signal side of the brake switch to flip a relay to monitor brake state.

The A/C pin on Terminator would be hooked up to the coil of a relay (K1) to turn it on. The relay would have B+ on 30, then I would take pin 87 to pin 30 an a second relay (K2), which would have pin 87A going to the TCC connector on the transmission. Then I could take the signal side of the brake switch to the coil on the second relay and turn it on (which would break the connection) whenever I hit the brakes. That would do it, though vehicle speed is not considered.

I do have a Dakota Digital dash, so there is a VSS in the car. So, am I making a mountain out of a molehill here?

Quote Originally Posted by howpeculiar View Post
    How does it determine that the TCC needs to be disabled if the only criteria we're using is the Engine RPM, MAP sensor & TPS.
    I assume you're referring to the Torque Converter Clutch Lockup Settings screen in Basic I/O (System ICF). Yes, the Terminator ECU is an HP ECU.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...5777#post75777 (TCC Lockup Control With VSS)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, I'm reading everything. What I don't know is what pins to buy to add connection to P1B-11. I could not use the A/C Shutdown pin, the software crashes if I even click on it. I have a Terminator ECU, so the AUX harness only has three wires. I believe the P1B connector is a Metri-Pack, but now sure what series. Are they 150? 280?
    Last edited by howpeculiar; 04-07-2017 at 05:42 PM.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....als-Holley-EFI (Holley EFI ECU Connectors & Terminals)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

UGH! I made a GCF to allow me to monitor a VSS, the brake switch and using RPM, trigger a relay for the TCC. I got that loaded into the 3.5" handheld (I have Terminator with a 3.5 that was Ver2 0587). Could not find a way to monitor my new Inputs on the handheld, so hooked up a laptop, it said I had to go to 1589. Put that on the SD card, and told the handheld to update the firmware in the ECU, it went for a couple seconds, went blank and never came back. I'm very, very upset at this point. I just disconnected the battery, but doubt that will help. I'm so frustrated with the software in this thing. Had trouble updating when I got the handheld as well. What do I do? Also, in reading, it looks like I should be going to Ver4 anyway.

Anyone able to talk with tech support? Hold seems to be pretty long.

I don't think you damaged the ECU. If the update failed partway, it can be reflashed by Holley at their facility.

OK, computer came back yesterday. Got it in, and did a TPS Autoset. Started, and now with V4, I can monitor the new Inputs & Output that I added. Although I sure wish I could do both at the same time! For the VSS signal, I Pin Mapped J1-12 as Digital Speed input. Then configured for MPH, Average 3, 2 PPROT, Gear 1.4, Tire 26.5. I'm using the 2K PPM output from the Dakota Digital VHX gauge module. This gets the input pretty accurate. I'm also monitoring the brake pedal. On J1-B11, I added an Output set as a +12V output. This one is configured currently as:
    Switched Input Triggers 1, Output active when BRAKE is disabled (monitoring the Brake SW on J1-A3)
    AND
    Sensor Input Triggers (5 of them), ALL
    Active when VSS In is above 45 MPH
    Active when TPS is below 50%
    Active when CTS is above 170°F
    Active when RPM is above 1400 RPM, Deactivated at 1250 RPM
    Active when TPS is above 5% (Hoping to keep from having the TCC oscillate at idle speeds.)

I'll slowly start trying this out and report back what I find. The engine has very little vacuum, so I'm not even going to bother trying to measure the load.