Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Clarity on 24x/1x sensors with a Holley Dominator.

Danny, I have a few questions. So overall, the car is running pretty well. It's driveable and the owner has been able to do some driving in it to allow the Base Fuel Table to Learn. The issue I was having previously was a burned out WBO2, as soon as that was replaced, it started running great for the most part. However, I still have one issue, and it's an idle issue.

I have not been able to get the IAC valve to function correctly, at least not that I can tell. I've set the RoC Blanking values to the new settings, they were set to the old setting. Currently they are at 7 & 6. Additionally, the IAC settings are 40% Hold Position, 3 second Decay, 1000 RPM Above Idle for decay, and 200 RPM Above Idle for IAC to take over idle control. Now, issues I'm having:

1. When stepping on the throttle, the best I can tell from Holley documentation, is the IAC should immediately go to 40%. It does not. It will not begin to open to 40% until the car hits around 1600-1700 RPM. It does not matter how long the car is in the 900-1600 RPM range, if the TPS is greater than 0.0% the IAC will go to 0%, and only go to 40% when over the 1700 RPM area. Additionally, when the IAC stays at 0%, the car runs extremely rich, around 10:1.

2. Erratic lope when letting off the throttle. If I rev the car, normally above the 1700 RPM mark, it will return to idle and usually idle fine. It does this when the IAC has the opportunity to activate; however, if I quickly touch the gas & release, it's a completely different story. When the RPM can not reach 1700 RPM and the IAC closes to 0%, it causes a massive lope at idle when I release the pedal. If the car does not stall, and slowly returns to idle at 900 RPM, the IAC is usually hanging open around 15%, normally it will sit right around 5% if the lope has not occurred. If needed, I can upload some datalogs of the car at idle.

I'm curious to know if I'm possibly missing something huge with the IAC. It is an LSx IAC, and the LSx Stepper is selected. I have the settings listed above. And the RoC Blanking has been updated. Am I missing a setting that allows the IAC to start opening as soon as the TPS leaves 0.0%? Or should it go to 0% like it is?

I don't know what's wrong. Ensure it's wired as an GM IAC motor: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (Scroll down to "IAC Motor Harness Connector PIN-OUTS".)

EFI Software Problems:
    Often times, when EFI software related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted software download/installation.
    I suggest completely removing the Holley EFI software from the "Control Panel", "My Documents" (Holley folder) and the
    "C:Drive" (Program Files, Holley folder) and install a fresh EFI software download. Save your Global File somewhere.
    ECU Firmware Problems:
    Conversely, often times, when actual ECU related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted ECU firmware installation.
    As a last resort, you can try reflashing the ECU firmware version (LINK). The ECU firmware is in with the software download (LINK).
    Also, try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for the response. I'll give that a go and post back.

So wiring is correct, IAC valve is good, EFI software on the laptop & ECU has been updated, and I also tried letting the car sit with the battery unhooked. Despite that, the issues with the IAC valve still exist. It will go to 0% as soon as the TPS leaves 0%, and not ramp up to the 40% IAC Hold Position until the car is around 1700 RPM. Any additional ideas?

The IAC Hold Position is activated at 2% TPS Position (in V4 software/firmware) for idle return issues. A 40% IAC Hold Position is sometimes too high.
    This might be an electrical interference issue. Ensure the spark plug wires (or any other high voltage wiring) aren't too close to the IAC motor/wiring.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

There are no high voltage wires close to the IAC motor or wiring. So the Holley EFI manual says the IAC will freeze at the IAC Hold Position as soon as the throttle is greater than 0%, which to me, means 0.1%. Is this not the case? Also, in regards to what you said about activating at 2%: Is the IAC valve going to 0% when the TPS is 0%-2%, or is it fluctuating as it tries to maintain idle (which means it'd likely go to 0% anyways)?
    Last edited by rlacasse1; 01-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlacasse1 View Post
    So the Holley EFI manual says the IAC will freeze at the IAC Hold Position as soon as the throttle is greater than 0%, which to me, means 0.1%. Is this not the case?
    Again, it was changed in V4. The IAC Hold Position is activated at 2% TPS Position (in V4 software/firmware) for idle return issues.

Also, in regards to what you said about activating at 2%: Is the IAC valve going to 0% when the TPS is 0%-2%, or is it fluctuating as it tries to maintain idle (which means it'd likely go to 0% anyways)?
    From 0% to 2%, the IAC is still in idle mode. So if it's zero, then maybe your throttle blades are open too far. Try decreasing your IAC Hold Position.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456