Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sniper loud whistle/hiss normal?

Yes, read post #24 HERE.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

If you decide to use the recommendation in post #24, then read post #51:
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-normal/page6

Despite the fact the gasket was torn up a little, due to failed packaging, I did use it for a few days. But I wound up taking that gasket out since I did not like the way the throttle bores were being encroached upon by the gasket no matter where I positioned it, and the amount of room there was to move the gasket around (the carb stud holes were much larger than the studs).

It sounds like that base gasket doesn't have the correct 1¾" throttle bore diameters (wrong application).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Ya know, I'm not sure? After I got my Sniper back from Holley with the WBO2 issue fixed, the vehicle ran like garbage, and the only
    change was that spacer. So I looked down in the bores and I could see the gasket material protruding into the bore of one or two.
    But not all, I tried moving the gasket around, but could not get it to where I was happy.

I held that gasket up to another Holley gasket I had and something looked off. However, I sent the gasket back to Amazon.
    (I could not find a way to contact Mr. Gasket so I no longer have it to verify the issue.

Just be diligent if you order that gasket, and watch for packaging issues and check for bore clearance, and that could be easily fixed.
    I was just at two strikes against that gasket and said enough

Your may be on to something since the #758 gasket Matt from Holley recommended states:
    Carburetor Gasket - 1/4" Thick, 1-5/8" Bore - 4-Hole, Fits Up to 600 CFM Carburetors.
    3/4" = 6/8" vs 5/8 = 5/8", so a 1/8" discrepancy.

I had the whistle with an "open" spacer that was a spread-bore to square-bore. Changed it to the 4 hole spread-bore to square-bore and no more whistle. Hope this helps someone with a spread-bore Intake. I've had this Edelbrock dual-plane one on for over 20 years on my '68 Camaro. I couldn't find it in me to swap it out to a square-bore intake yet. But the 4 hole is doing the trick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	2758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4hole.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	2759

I had the whistle with the stock open gasket. I swapped to a Cometic 4 hole gasket, about 1/16" thick, 1 11/16 bores, and now the whistle is gone. No spacer used.
    '73 K5 Blazer, built 350 SBC 375 HP/425 TQ, 12" F/18" R suspension travel. Deaver springs with King shocks, D44/12 bolt, 3.73 gears, lunchbox locker F/Auburn Posi R, crossover steering, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Vintage Air system, PRP suspension seats, lots of custom work, all built by me.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_russell View Post
    I had the whistle with an "open" spacer that was a spread-bore to square-bore. Changed it to the 4 hole spread-bore to square-bore and no more whistle. Hope this helps someone with a spread-bore Intake. I've had this Edelbrock dual-plane one on for over 20 years on my '68 Camaro. I couldn't find it in me to swap it out to a square-bore intake yet. But the 4 hole is doing the trick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	2758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4hole.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	2759
    Just what I was looking for Mike! Will give it a whirl (not a whistle) when I install this weekend. Sniper to Edelbrock B4B spread-bore intake (Buick).

Lots of good info here! When I did my install, I used a Parker Funnel Web intake. It's a mix between four hole & open. I did NOT get this noise, so I'm very happy. Not to mention even after the progressive mod it's still very snappy.

Ordered this if the hiss rears up on initial startup. Fingers crossed.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by BQUICK; 06-18-2018 at 12:55 AM. Reason: irrelevant