Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Sniper loud whistle/hiss normal?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSanDiego View Post
    Hello cmyer. First I'd like to say thank you for the great support with knowledge and products that you're providing the EFI community. It really is nice to have a helpful & friendly face around to help out. Thanks!

And on to EFI. On my last attempt, I tried to install a spacer that looks to be the same or very similar to the one you linked to, and you are exactly right, there is very little surface left at the edges of the large bores. Mine actually had a small gap with one of the bores being too big to seal, so my spacer was not usable. I need to either make an adapter plate or just cut my losses and replace the manifold, which I think I'll do. They're relatively inexpensive and it would be nice to have a nice new one. Thanks for the info and I'll post up the solution when I get it fixed. Cheers!

EDIT: From reading on your website, you seem to be knowledgeable on intake manifolds. Quick question, on my heavy 4x4 with tall gearing and a 5500 redline, I'm thinking a Performer manifold, with center gap milled out (to eliminate the problem duel plane manifolds seem to be having), and a 4 hole spacer (to eliminate the whistle) is probably the was to go. Would you agree? Thanks again, B.
    Thanks for the kind words!

Another potential solution would be to use a Square to Spread Bore manifold Adapter. You would want to install the adapter plate first (spread bore side down, of course), then the 1/4-inch gasket, then the Sniper EFI throttle body. The one challenge there is that it will raise your throttle body by about 3/4 inch, so be sure to check hood clearance before you go this route.

This manifold adapter is a good choice for anyone who might find that they have a vacuum leak around the base of their Sniper EFI throttle body, when mounting it on a spread bore manifold (with or without the 1/4-inch 4-hole gasket). That normally isn't necessary, but I have had a few customers who've gone this route with success.

As far as intake manifold wisdom, I have not by any means achieved guru status. :-) I just look at the peak RPM range specifications like everyone else. While machining the air gap can show improved performance in specific circumstances, I've not had one of our many Sniper EFI customers using a dual-plane manifold come back and say they were having an issue because of the dual-plane. Between my frugal nature and my desire to make things work, I'd probably get the manifold you're using working first and then consider if a swap to the Performer might be a good choice.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

All fixed! Added a 1/2" 4-hole spacer and the noise is gone. Thanks for the help guys! B.

I'm thrilled by your success! I feel like the forum has teamed up to solve this little issue. Great work everyone!
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

Me too! Thanks everyone. I know a whistle isn't the end of the world, but it was annoying enough that I got in the habit of avoiding two-thirds throttle. Now I can use all of it and hear how nice the engine sounds. Thanks again.

Thanks for this post. I had the same problem, ordered an RPC part# R9138, it fixed the squeal. You'd think Holley would add a spacer in with every kit, they stop heat transfer anyway.

Maybe they can at least amend the manual to include a note. "If it whistles, buy this spacer..." That would be very helpful. But yeah, spacers are cheap, they could throw one in the box. Glad you got it fixed!

Who would have thought that super loud whistle could be fixed by a 1/4 thick gasket? Got my Mr. Gasket 758 from Summit Racing for $11.53. FTW! Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Some users of the Sniper EFI have reported that using a 4-hole spacer or thick gasket (at least a .25" thick), has helped with the noise that's sometime present at different throttle blade angles. The spacer or gasket must be a 4-hole, an open bore gasket does not seem to help. Here's a Mr. Gasket thicker gasket:
    https://www.holley.com/products/gask...kets/parts/758
    I can confirm, running a Weiand 8120WND Street Warrior intake. There was a very loud sucking/hissing at 30% throttle. It was not the IAC and the Mr. Gasket part posted here (actually more of a self sealing spacer) completely fixed the noise.

Switched from open 1/2 inch spacer to Quick Fuel phenolic carb spacer 4-hole 1/2-inch on my Weiand Team G 7530WND intake, and the whistle/hissing is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by VettenDK View Post
    Switched from open 1/2 inch spacer to Quick Fuel phenolic carb spacer 4-hole 1/2-inch on my Weiand Team G 7530WND intake, and the whistle/hissing is gone.
    Amazing, isn't it! :-)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast