Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st Dragstrip runs of 2017, going VERY LEAN at WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by BITE_ME View Post
    Actually, fuel goes inside the bronze filter. Then when it gets plugged, fuel psi will push the filter in, and fuel will go around it.
    Correct. And as you can see, the filter itself, is engraved with an arrow, pointed in the completely opposite, wrong, direction.

It might have been assembled wrong. The bronze filter should fit in a groove, and the groove should have a channel. So fuel can go around a plugged filter.

The 2nd picture on first reply is exactly how it came apart. There was an o-ring sealing the filter to the end cap of the housing. None of that even mattered though, since I went by the arrow, which points the wrong way.

Sorry to jump into this so late. In my experience, Tanks Inc does use a 255 LPH Walbro pump. But for some odd reason they select a "standard pressure" pump. It makes 255 LPH at 43.5 PSI (like the high pressure version), but starts to lose flow at 50 PSI. As you know, the Sniper needing 60 PSI, that's not a good thing. It might explain the problem. At 60 PSI the standard pressure Walbro 255 is only producing 215 LPH of fuel at 13.5 volts. Disconnect the alternator for a little extra oomph, and it's only producing 178 LPH. Do you recall the part number of the pump you installed? I would be happy to confirm the pressure range.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

I believe they said it's a GSS340, which is supposed to be a high pressure pump? Tanks Inc. says it'll support 630 HP. I'm about 100 shy of that. But as I said, it's been noisy since Day 1. Sounds like an old Holley Blue Pump, when it primes, LOL. Regardless, I plan to swap it out and replace it with an Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH. It's on truck for delivery today. They claim: It would be reasonable to rate the 340 Stealth to 700 flywheel HP EFI forced induction, 900 flywheel HP EFI naturally aspirated, on gasoline fuel. In this example, the injector duty cycle for either V-8 or 4-cyl would be between 80-85%. I'm well under that claim. By at least 300 FWHP.

I was going to go with the Tanks Inc GPA-6 pump. I'm currently only about 550 HP on 8 PSI boost, but would like to bump it up to 10 PSI this summer. GPA-6 they claim is 400L/HR and supports up to 1000 HP. Based on my calculated fuel needs, it would handle what I want, but not if I want to play with E85 at 10 PSI. Walbro 450 will fit the bill at 10 PSI on E85; that and the JakeFab fuel puck are about the same price as the Tanks Inc GPA-6, and looks better (not that anyone will see it under the car, but I'll know it's there).

Rel3rd, the GSS340 is a high-pressure capable 255, so I would have expected that to work for you. The Aeromotive pump would absolutely do the trick though, so it will be interesting to hear your report on whether it impacts your lean WOT problem. Thanks for the reference to the old Holley Blue pump. I ran one of those back in the day, so I got a chuckle out of that! :-)

Kstatz, the GPA-6 pump uses the Walbro 400 LPH high-pressure capable pump (F90000262), so it should meet your requirements. It won't work with E85, but the Walbro 450LPH E85 pump (F90000267) has a similar shape, so it should be fairly easy to replace on the GPA-6 hanger when you're ready to make that switch. The electrical connector is different, but when the F90000267 is bought as part of the TIA485-2 Kit, it includes a wiring pigtail that should make that pretty easy.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

Quote Originally Posted by cmyer View Post
    Kstatz, the GPA-6 pump uses the Walbro 400 LPH high-pressure capable pump (F90000262), so it should meet your requirements. It won't work with E85, but the Walbro 450LPH E85 pump (F90000267) has a similar shape, so it should be fairly easy to replace on the GPA-6 hanger when you're ready to make that switch. The electrical connector is different, but when the F90000267 is bought as part of the TIA485-2 Kit, it includes a wiring pigtail that should make that pretty easy.
    I ordered the Tank, sending unit, rollover valve, strap pads & https://www.summitracing.com/search?...bro%20TIA485-2 this pump all from Summit Racing. Still working on the fuel line plumbing, but the tank looks awesome! The Tanks Inc pump would have been enough fuel if I didn't want to try & play with E85 at some point.

Well, I'll be the first to kick myself in the hind parts, LOL. Between the FiTech supplied filter I reused, and had installed backwards (due to the arrow stamped wrong), the fuel pump seems to be fine. I have a Russell much better flowing filter on there for now, but ordered two quick connects that will attach to my existing fuel lines, and allow me to use an OEM style, much larger, inline filter. Datalog from yesterday looks fine to me, but the INJECTOR DUTY CYCLE is still above 100%, and I'm not sure if that's going to be a problem or not.

Same datalog on both pics...ZOOMED in on about a 5 second WOT blast.
    I wish I could do a screen shot, instead of a picture of the laptop screen, LOL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datalog11 (800x450).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	2089
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datalog22 (800x450).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	2090

ANYTIME your Injector Duty Cycle is Above 100%, it's a problem.
    That means your injectors can't supply any more fuel and it wants/needs more.

I would have the fuel injectors Flowed & Cleaned.
    Likely some trash has gotten into them over time.
    Typical prices are around $20-$25 per injector plus the shipping.

If they come back as all good and the problem still exists, I would make sure to check fuel pressure at WOT.
    And lastly, if there is no problems with fuel pressure, upgrade to a bigger injector.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast