Thread: 558312 Ground To Cylinder Head

1. Default 558312 Ground To Cylinder Head

I was discussing this with a friend yesterday, and we both got to questioning the ground to cylinder head for each bank of coils, and how it's suggests this wire be short as possible and grounded to each cylinder head that the coils are running on. Question is what about aluminum heads? Is this still the proper procedure or? I was under the impression aluminum is not a good conductor/ground.

It's fine, the spark plugs self ground to the aluminum cylinder heads!
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

3. Default

Good to know that little bit of info. Thanks!

Aluminum is a far better conductor than is cast iron. The only caveat with either material is getting a clean surface and one that will not corrode. In AC power wiring, you use a corrosive preventive grease for aluminum conductors at the connections. Frankly, I think people make too much of this. With 16 or however many head bolts, there is almost zero chance the heads won't be interconnected, and of course, the intake adds whatever amount of conductivity between them.

On another note, I've had people claim that painted heads cause the plugs to "not ground." This is nonsense, as plug "juice" is very high impedance/high voltage and low current. "A few Ohms" of resistance between the plug shells and the heads won't ever be noticed.