Thread: Chevy 540" Big Block Supercharger

Default Chevy 540" Big Block Supercharger

Hi all. This is my first post in the forum. I’m rebuilding an old Chevy 454 Mark IV Big Block for an off-road
    race car, and I’m looking for a supercharger kit to give it some boost. Emissions are of no concern.

The cast iron block number is 14015445, which probably came out of a 1971 truck.
    It's a short 9.8” deck and has a 2-bolt main.
    The aluminum heads are part number 3946074.
    The engine will be stroked to 540ci using the SCAT assembly kit number 1-42380BI.
    I’ll be running a flat tappet camshaft by Comp Cams part number 42-655-5.
    The engine will be controlled by a Haltech Elite 2500 ECU.
    Which supercharger would work for this engine?

I would think you need at least an 8-71...maybe bigger. Andrew

The original Detroit Diesel superchargers were named after the engines they suited. So an 8/71 suited 8 cylinders of 71 cubic inches each (a total of 568 cu.in.). An 8/92 suited 8 cylinders of 92 cu.in each (736 cu.in. total), etc. The only thing is that those engines were two-stroke, so I'm not sure, but I'd think that means the blower has to pump twice as much as if they suited a four-stroke engine?
    Andrew