Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can the Learn temp be lowered?

To get your system to start Learning at an earlier coolant temp, reading requires that the Coolant Temp Enrichment is set to 100%. This can be done in the handheld or in the EFI software and transferring the new Global File from the computer software to the Sniper throttle body via the SD card.

If you would like to have it starting to Learn at 140°, simply put the "Coolant Temperature Enrichment %" down to 100 in that part of the graph.

To do the change on the handheld, go to the Tuning icon, then the Advanced Tuning, Advanced Fuel Tuning, and then Coolant Temp Enrichment. It will bring up a graph, and just move the dot for the desired temperature down to 100%. Once the Coolant Enrichment has hit 100% the unit will start Learning.

If choosing to use the EFI software, open the Global File (.sniper) using the Sniper EFI software. Then click the Fuel icon (fuel injector), and move down to the "Temperature Enrichment" tab on the left hand side of the software screen. This will allow you to change the Coolant Temp Enrichment table, choose the temperature you would like to lower it to, and type in the top of the table 100. Save the Global File and then transfer it back to the Sniper throttle body.

Hope this helps with anybody wanting to lower the temperature that Learn is activated. Matt L

So I was wondering, is there a specific reason the Sniper shouldn't Learn from say initial startup? I know there is Coolant Temp Enrichment to act as a choke, but I noticed on the handheld while my car warmed up this morning before heading to work, the AFR jumped all over the place. I was thinking, if the ECU was Learning during warm up there would be better fuel control and such eventually just like while driving.

The ECU is in Closed Loop mode during the Coolant Temperature Enrichment period; it's just not in Learn mode.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Would it be a good idea to set the Closed Loop mode at a much lower temperature than 160° Learning mode? Say room temperature like 75°? I remember reading in the manual that there really is no reason to be in Open Loop unless you suspect a bad oxygen sensor. And would it also be a good idea to make the ECU try to Learn at much lower temperature? Say at the same 75°, basically making the ECU Learn the moment the engine is started in the morning.

Again, the ECU is in Closed Loop mode as soon as the WBO2 sensor finishes its initial heating cycle (seconds after starting). No, you want Learn mode to begin when the engine reaches normal operating temperature. The Coolant Temperature Enrichment % is a modifier table for the Base Fuel Table.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual & Diagrams)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r10544.pdf (Holley EFI Help/Instructions Overview)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...r10546rev1.pdf (Holley EFI Quick Start Guide)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    Open the Holley EFI software "Help" Contents ("Help" drop down menu), and read "Step-By-Step Beginners Tuning".

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by ricasas View Post
    Would it be a good idea to set the Closed Loop mode at a much lower temperature than 160° Learning mode? Say room temperature like 75°? I remember reading in the manual that there really is no reason to be in Open Loop unless you suspect a bad oxygen sensor. And would it also be a good idea to make the ECU try to Learn at much lower temperature? Say at the same 75°, basically making the ECU Learn the moment the engine is started in the morning.
    The reason you don't use Learning at a lower temperature than "normal operating temperature", is because it can take as much as 30-40% more fuel when the engine is cold. And if you just let Learning take care of this, it can significantly skew your fuel tables. And it often takes different amounts at various RPM at those cold temperatures as well...it's not just a flat amount. Might need 30% more at idle, but maybe only 20% more at part throttle when at 20°. This is why there is a modifier table for various temperatures and manifold pressures.

Some people even go as far as create several Advanced Tables to fix fueling by RPM, temperature & manifold pressures. (Most people do not need it, it's for more hardcore racers who need extreme consistency.)
    Last edited by S2H; 04-17-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    The reason you don't use Learning at a lower temperature than "normal operating temperature", is because it can take as much as 30-40% more fuel when the engine is cold. And if you just let Learning take care of this, it can significantly skew your fuel tables. And it often takes different amounts at various RPM at those cold temperatures as well...it's not just a flat amount. Might need 30% more at idle, but maybe only 20% more at part throttle when at 20°. This is why there is a modifier table for various temperatures and manifold pressures.
    This makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Again, the ECU is in Closed Loop mode as soon as the WBO2 sensor finishes its initial heating cycle (seconds after starting).
    So from what I interpret you're saying Danny, regardless how long between engine starts/runs, I should be in closed loop be it dead cold or hot after a drive as soon as the WBO2 finished heating up. If that's the case, should I be concerned because my Sniper unit only enters closed loop once I reach 160°F? Is there any benefit of making it enter closed loop sooner, or is it moot along the same lines Scott has mentioned?

If that's the case, should I be concerned because my Sniper unit only enters closed loop once I reach 160°F?
    Yes, I'd check your Closed Loop parameters.

Is there any benefit of making it enter closed loop sooner, or is it moot along the same lines Scott has mentioned?
    Yes, Closed Loop is a benefit even during engine warmup.

If that's the case should I be concerned because my Sniper unit only enters closed loop once I reach 160°?
    If you think your Sniper is not in closed loop at lower temperatures, you can check it with a datalog or even make sure it is correct in the tune which can be updated via the SD card slot. It will be located in the Closed Loop/Learn section. In the "Closed Loop" tab it should only have "Enable Closed Loop" checked, all other boxes should remain unchecked.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, Closed Loop is a benefit even during engine warmup.
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    If you think your Sniper is not in closed loop at lower temperatures, you can check it with a datalog or even make sure it is correct in the tune which can be updated via the SD card slot. It will be located in the Closed Loop/Learn section. In the "Closed Loop" tab it should only have "Enable Closed Loop" checked, all other boxes should remain unchecked.
    After initial setup & startup, while waiting for the car to warmup, I did notice it was not going into closed loop until it reached operating temperature. When I navigated through the handheld is when I discovered they were not enabled. With that being said, do you, Scott or Danny have a recommended minimum temperature to enable closed loop operation or should I just set it to 75° (average room temperature)? I currently have it set at 160°.