X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randaltb
    • Dec 2013

How hot is too hot?

I have an Accel points eliminator with an 8140C coil. Based on my instructions, this configuration does not use a Ballast resistor, because the 8140 & 8140C have a 1.4 Ohm internal resistance. I wired it up and it seems to work/run fine. My only concern is the coil is warm to the touch, bordering on hot. How hot is too hot? Randal
  • BITE_ME
    • Feb 2015

Did you mount this coil pointing up? What is your spark plug gap?
    On behalf of every manufacturer, delivery drivers, supply chain representatives, and workers of the world, "We're Sorry."

Comment

• S2H
      • Nov 2013

Warm to the touch is not a problem. It actually should get pretty warm, there's a lot of voltage and voltage creates heat. If you start melting the thing, then I would consider adding the external resistor.
      -Scott
      Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
      Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
      Low 8 Second Street Car

Comment

• 440roadrunner
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Randaltb View Post
        I have an Accel points eliminator with an 8140C coil. Based on my instructions, this configuration does not use a Ballast resistor, because the 8140 & 8140C have a 1.4 Ohm internal resistance. I wired it up and it seems to work/run fine. My only concern is the coil is warm to the touch, bordering on hot. How hot is too hot? Randal
        Where did you get this information? I don't know what part number you have "points eliminator", but I looked up this one as example and it CLEARLY shows you use the OEM resistor. On some cars, this is a resistor wire "in the harness". Look at figure 3, 4 & 5:
        http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...0/110-2020.pdf

Having said that, some ignition setups can "get by" without a resistor, because some ignitions LIMIT current in themselves. One example is conversions using a GM HEI module. I successfully use a factory Mopar coil on my Dart with an HEI module, no resistor.

No CD type (MSD CDI) needs a resistor, because in those cases, there is no DC battery current through the coil.
        Last edited by 440roadrunner; 03-08-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• BITE_ME
          • Feb 2015

On the first page that you linked to, shows that the 8140 doesn't need a resistor. Only coils less then 1.5 Ohms need resistors for any points eliminators on a V8 engine. It was carved in stone in the 70s & 80s.
          On behalf of every manufacturer, delivery drivers, supply chain representatives, and workers of the world, "We're Sorry."

Comment

Working...
          X