Thread: 0-4777 Oval Track Tuning

Default 0-4777 Oval Track Tuning

Hi everyone. I'm running a 0-4777 650 carb on a Chevy Crate 602 motor at my local short track. I've been watching some tuning videos on YouTube & Summit Racing and a lot of them are more geared to street driving. I did see on one of the Summit Videos that for oval racing you should set the fuel level in the bowl a bit higher than at the bottom of the sight hole. Is that accurate? It seems to make logical sense with fuel sloshing to the right in left turns. I was wondering if there were some special tips for choosing Power Valves that differ from the Holley-Suggested Idle Vacuum divided by 2. Furthermore, while tuning the Jets, is it more efficient to use an Air/Fuel Mixture gauge or even an Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge (I'm a pilot and that's how we set our mixture in the cockpit in order to set lean the the motor in order to produce max HP). Thanks in advance, Scott Bolster

If you raise the float level in the rear bowl too high, you'll flood the engine every time you hit the brakes.
    Your power valve choice is not as critical on an engine that spends 95% of its time at WOT.
    An WBO2 sensor will tell you what AFR you are at, but it will not tell you what AFR makes the best power for your engine.

Yeah, the video from Summit just said to raise the level to just above the sight window. Nothing too crazy.
    I was curious if under racing conditions, that having the level at recommended street levels, would result in a pick-up issue.