Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft Sensor Installation

Default Driveshaft Sensor Installation

Hi guys. I have the Motorsports Innovations Driveshaft Sensor Kit (LINK). It says install the red wire to P1B-B20, and that I have no problem. The black wire to P1B-B14, but I already have that being used, so can I just share that pin by splicing the wire, or can I just ground that black wire to chassis? Last problem I have is, the white wire they say to pin to P1A A3-A13 is a good choice, but I don't have one available. There is only A15 left in the P1A harness to the ECU. It says I can pin to an F Input? Can I use my J1 connector Input A4 Input #4? Thank you in advance, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by procharged67 View Post
    The black wire to P1B-B14, but I already have that being used, so can I just share that pin by splicing the wire, or can I just ground that black wire to chassis?
    Yes, the B14 pin can ground several Hall-Effect sensors.

Last problem I have is, the white wire they say to pin to P1A A3-A13 is a good choice, but I don't have one available. There is only A15 left in the P1A harness to the ECU. It says I can pin to an F Input? Can I use my J1 connector Input A4 Input #4?
    You can Pin Map the signal wire to any "F" Type "Digital Speed/Frequency" Input.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Section 9.0 "Programmable Inputs & Outputs", Pages 27 & 28)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10545rev.pdf (Holley EFI Pin Map Instructions)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....3598#post53598 (Wiring Additional Sensors - HP & Dominator ECUs)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8389#post58389 (How To Create A Custom Input/Output)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thank you Danny. Am I right to say after I do the pinning & installation by the instructions, that I will not be able to view the driveshaft sensor until I datalog a run? I can not even add the datalogging to my datalogging page, where I see all my info yet?

Quote Originally Posted by procharged67 View Post
    Am I right to say after I do the pinning & installation by the instructions, that I will not be able to view the driveshaft sensor until I datalog a run?
    No, you can view the driveshaft sensor on the Data Monitor, even before you datalog it.

I can not even add the datalogging to my datalogging page, where I see all my info yet?
    You can add the driveshaft sensor to a datalogger View List as soon as you create it.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I recently purchased the same driveshaft sensor kit. I have an HP ECU with an LS2 main harness. My P1B-B14 goes to the connector that plugs into the coil sub-harness. I’m reluctant to disturb/splice into that wire. Can I use a chassis ground? Also, what does “EST” stand for? As in “EST Ground Out”. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by George F View Post
    Also, what does “EST” stand for? As in “EST Ground Out”.
    "Electronic Spark Timing"

Can I use a chassis ground?
    Yes, as long as it's a good ground. P1B-B14 is fine too, as are the grounds mentioned in the first paragraph below:

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Crank & Cam Sensor Wiring Tips:
    The 10-pin Ignition Connector has one "Chassis Ground" (loose black wire ground) and two "IPU Grounds" (clean ECU ground). Don't use "Chassis Ground" to ground an ignition module (or crank & cam sensors). It's quick & easy to move the ignition module ground wire from (cavity) pin D "Chassis Ground" to pin C or G "IPU Ground", where it should be.

If you don't have the actual Metri-Pack terminal release tool, a "safety pin" will work.
    It just needs to be a stiff wire between .030"-.035" in diameter to release the terminal tab.
    Then reopen (bend) the terminal tab before reinsertion, so it will clip (lock) into the cavity.
    http://www.whiteproducts.com/removal_tools.shtml (T-6 Micro Terminal Release Pick Tool)

Also, don't use (cavity) pin E "Switched +12V" from the 10-pin Ignition Connector, to power an ignition module (or crank & cam sensors), unless you've modified the wiring source to connect from pin B20 - EST 12V Output (P1B ECU Connector). This LINK explains why & how to do it.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual, Sections 2.1 "Pin-Outs" & 13.0 "Wiring Appendix")

Thanks Danny.

You're welcome.

I recently installed the driveshaft sensor. It doesn’t seem to be working. I connected the red wire to +12V (key-on), black wire to ground, shield wire (bare) to ground and white wire (signal) to pin A13. I created an input named “Driveshaft RPM”, selected “Digital Speed/Frequency” as the type, assigned it to ECU Pin J1-A13, Enabled it and Configured it. When I click on “Where Used”, it says, “Driveshaft RPM is not in use”. I created a gauge on the gauge panel and selected “Driveshaft RPM” as the channel for the gauge. Any idea as to what the problem could be? Hopefully it’s something simple that I’m doing wrong. Thank you.

Well, how did you Configure it?
    Type - RPM?
    Display/Caution/Normal Min - 0 RPM?
    Display/Caution/Normal Max - 6500 RPM?
    Pulses To Average? Pulses (PPROT)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast