Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sniper intermittently cutting out, new install.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman280 View Post
    I'm interested in how this will go. I'm having the exact issue as this. I might try a Hall-Effect distributor with my Street Fire CD box. I currently have a magnetic pickup distributor with an adjustable rotor. I'll try & hunt down a dual sync distributor, but they're hard to get here in Australia.
    The Holley Dual Sync distributor is about a week out, hope to have it installed next weekend & will report back.

Here is a dumb question. When wiring the CD box to the EFI (using tach output to the purple & green wires on the main harness using the adapter), do you still connect the CD box to the distributor via magnetic pickup wires? It's not specified in the instructions.

ECU controlled timing? Hall-Effect sensor or Magnetic pickup?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld9ml6e6P6Q (This Sniper EFI YouTube video has ignition wiring diagrams @ 2:33 & 2:51 minutes.)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - Start reading at page 14.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Not ECU controlled timing, and it's a magnetic pickup.

Yes. On non-ECU controlled timing applications, the purple & green wires on the CDI box connect to the magnetic pickup distributor.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - RPM signal illustrated on page 14.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Turns out you can't use a Hall-Effect distributor with the CDI box. Will not trigger it no matter how it's wired. Which sucks, because I have no other way to test if my magnetic pickup distributor is causing my problem due to RFI.

This problem is starting to really ticking me off, and I've basically rewired my entire loom to rule out dodgy wires, faulty earths, etc. From what I've read before, it's pointless trying a new Sniper unit because I'll get the same results.

How likely is it that the magnetic pickup is causing this issue we seem to have? I highly doubt that three units on three different model cars have the same model/make of distributor that's causing the same problem. I'm using an Accel distributor with a MSD cap & adjustable rotor, with 10.5 mm Eagle leads. All mechanical & vacuum advanced locked out and not running timing control, because that makes everything run worse.

I just don't want to sink another $1000 (AUD) into a dual sync distributor, and have the exact same issue and because the Sniper software for the computer sucks, I can't read datalogs to find what's happening.

Turns out you can't use a Hall-Effect distributor with the CDI box.
    A Holley Dual Sync Distributor (Hall-Effect sensor) is used with a CDI box - single coil application.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - Page 24)

Turns out you can't use a Hall-Effect distributor with the CDI box. Will not trigger it no matter how it's wired. Which sucks, because I have no other way to test if my magnetic pickup distributor is causing my problem due to RFI.

This problem is starting to really piss me off, and I've basically rewired my entire loom to rule out dodgy wires, faulty earths, etc. From what I've read before, it's pointless trying a new Sniper unit because I'll get the same results.

How likely is it that the magnetic pickup is causing this issue we seem to have? I highly doubt that three units on three different model cars have the same model/make of distributor that's causing the same problem. I'm using an Accel distributor with a MSD cap & adjustable rotor, with 10.5 mm Eagle leads. All mechanical & vacuum advanced locked out and not running timing control, because that makes everything run worse.

I just don't want to sink another $1000 (AUD) into a dual sync distributor, and have the exact same issue and because the Sniper software for the computer sucks, I can't read datalogs to find what's happening.
    Hold on until next weekend & I will report when I get the Holley Dual Sync Distributor installed.

No worries mate. I got a email back from tech support, and they too say it's RFI noise, and I should reroute my wires. I have already done that. What material should I use to shield the Sniper unit wires?

I used copper/tin braided shielding sheath grounded at the ECU end to shield all my sensor wires, distributor/magnetic pickup harness, WBO2 harness, CTS & black/orange feed wires to coil from the 6A MSD box. Ran all wires spread as far away from each other as possible, nothing near power/grounds or spark plug wires, confirmed resistor spark plugs, new spiral spark plug wires & have same symptom, intermittent random cut out/stall with TPS reading -20% to -24% during symptom. I've spent so much time chasing this issue, hoping the Holley Dual Sync distributor solves the issue or I will be crying "Uncle".

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast