Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sniper intermittently cutting out, new install.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    It doesn't matter if high RPM "feels" great. What matters, is if the timing is synchronized (Sniper EFI touchscreen & timing light).
    I confirmed touchscreen & actual timing was 15° at idle & 36 degrees @ 3,500 upon initial fire up. I adjusted the distributor slightly for the base idle to match the touchscreen & the 36° at 3,500 was matched after that. Am I missing another adjustment concerning the Inductive Delay that may cause a stall symptom as described in my initial post? Thanks.
    Last edited by orcas tow; 03-05-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orcas tow View Post
    Am I missing another adjustment concerning the Inductive Delay, that may cause a stall symptom as described in my initial post?
    No, it seems your ignition timing is fully synchronized at idle & higher RPM.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Before I go too far, I'm going to run shielding on my sensor, ignition coil feed & ignition pickup wires this weekend. I have a feeling from the symptom, it's RFI issues, as it's almost like the ECU gets confused during the symptom & none of the Sniper EFI harness appears to be shielded.

I've exhausted my resources this weekend (disconnected alternator to rule out AC voltage feeding into ECU, shielded & ran all my sensor wires as far away from any power/ground/ignition wires, confirmed body/chassis/engine grounds, swapped out complete Sniper EFI including all harnesses & sensors (I had a second Sniper kit for my other car). All with the same symptom of intermittent stalling & screen showing TPS @ -20% to -24% during the symptom. I'm convinced (info attached below) it's Radio Frequency Interference in the MSD Pro Billet small cap distributor causing erratic pickup signal to the ECU. I have ordered a Holley Dual Sync Hall Effect Distributor & Harness for both my cars with hopes the engines that will run at lest as well as it did with a carburetor. I'll update when it's installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Excerpt from Holley EFI manual:
    NOTE - It is not advised to use a magnetic pickup distributor to directly feed the magnetic trigger input of the ECU. If the
    magnetic pickup distributor is connected to the ECU via the inductive pickup trigger wires, the pickup/rotor/cap phasing
    must be corrected. This operation may require a phaseable cap or rotor or possibly machining to the distributor and is
    therefore beyond the scope of most users. Even with the phasing corrected, the electrical noise inside the cap
    (due to the high voltage cap & rotor terminals) may be strong enough to cause electrical noise interference.
    It is advised to use a crank trigger system or a computer-controlled distributor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    The more robust Hall-Effect sensors are preferred because they're not susceptible to EMI/RFI interference/noise,
    and their digital square-wave signal strength is consistent, regardless of RPM (unlike the VR magnetic sine-wave).
    Also, the magnetic VR signal is weaker at cranking speeds.

Another problem with using VR Magnetic sensors, is there's more tuning work. Hall-Effect is "set & forget".
    The VR Magnetic Sensor Type "Filtering" & "Minimum Signal Voltage" parameters need to be programmed.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10676rev.pdf (Magnetic Crank/Cam Input Filtering Parameters - Page 2)

Hall-Effect: 3-wire, square wave signal (digital), pulse generation
    VR Magnetic: 2-wire, sine wave signal (inductive), voltage generation
    http://www.electronicproducts.com/El...g_for_you.aspx (Hall-Effect vs VR Magnetic)

I'm interested in how this will go. I'm having the exact issue as this. I might try a Hall-Effect distributor with my Street Fire CD box. I currently have a magnetic pickup distributor with an adjustable rotor. I'll try & hunt down a dual sync distributor, but they're hard to get here in Australia.

Plenty of Sniper EFI owners use the Holley Dual Sync Distributor successfully. The Holley Dual Sync Distributor is a proven component that uses far superior Hall-Effect sensors, especially in EFI applications. (Read quotes in post #14.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gI4FDfU2sI (Holley Dual Sync Distributor Installation - Sniper EFI)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Is there a diagram I can follow to hook up a Bosch electronic distributor to the Street Fire EFI? I know the module needs to be removed, and the negative lead to points pickup on CD box, but do I still need to power the distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman280 View Post
    Is there a diagram I can follow to hook up a Bosch electronic distributor to the Street Fire EFI?
    I don't have one for that distributor.

I know the module needs to be removed, and the negative lead to points pickup on CD box, but do I still need to power the distributor?
    If it's a Hall-Effect sensor distributor, yes. The Hall-Effect sensors are +5V or +12V powered.

Thanks mate, I should be able to figure it out. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Has anyone else had issues with magnetic pickup distributors with the Sniper EFI before?

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'll wire the Bosch distributor (after removal of the 4-pin module) the
    same way as the Pertronix Ignitor. Reading through my Street Fire instructions, it seems like the most logical way.

I'm not familiar with the Bosch or Pertronix distributor.