Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 700R4 TV cable bracket that works with the Sniper?

Default 700R4 TV cable bracket that works with the Sniper?

This has probably been asked, but I could not find it anywhere. I had the Sniper EFI system installed on my truck right before Christmas. Drove about 100 miles and lost 2 gears in my 700R4. The transmission had about 3000 miles on it. Took it to the builder and he said the TV cable was not hooked up properly and once the throttle was half open or more, the cable geometry was off and it caused low pressure in the transmission.

The shop that installed the Sniper EFI is a very well known shop and assured me they could manufacture anything they couldn't find. Apparently, that was not the case. The transmission builder just finished with my transmission and installed the corrector kit from Sonnax that is working. He said he would much prefer a bracket made specifically for the Sniper TBI unit.

Does anyone know if one is made? He looked, I have looked, and we have not found anything. If there isn't one made by Holley, does anyone know if they have plans to make one? Thanks.
    1982 K10, 383 stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, 700R4, 2˝" Skyjacker suspension lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Splandman View Post
    The transmission builder just finished with my transmission and installed the corrector kit from Sonnax that is working. He said he would much prefer a bracket made specifically for the Sniper TBI unit. Does anyone know if one is made? He looked, I have looked, and we have not found anything.
    I'd purchase an available 700R4 cable bracket and modify it to fit the Sniper TBI (fabricate the mounting section).
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s_and_linkage/ (Throttle Cable Bracketry)

If there isn't one made by Holley, does anyone know if they have plans to make one?
    Probably, but as always, you'll have to contact Holley Tech Service (LINK) for new product release information.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/20-112 (Throttle Cable/Return Spring Bracket)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/20-119 (Optional Transmission Cable Bracket)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I'd purchase an available 700R4 cable bracket and modify it to fit the Sniper TBI (fabricate the mounting section).
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s_and_linkage/ (Throttle Cable Bracketry)
    The issue with modifying one, is that the current ones attach to the body of the carb or TBI unit with two screws. The side of the Sniper only has one hole to screw in to. The transmission builder did not want to drill an extra hole in the body of the Sniper unit. Also, the shop that installed the Sniper unit is a really well known shop. They build race cars and fabricate all sorts of things. They thought they had it correct, but they did not, and it cost me $1,000 to fix it. Rather than have someone modify, or rig something, I'm looking for something proven that's manufactured specifically for this. Apparently it does not exist at this time.

I would talk to this really well known shop, and see if they will stand behind their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Splandman View Post
    Also, the shop that installed the Sniper unit is a really well known shop.
    If I had $1 for every time I heard this, I'd be a rich man.

When I converted to a Ford AOD transmission in my '78 Bronco, I installed a Lokar
    TV cable and had to fabricate the throttle body mounting bracket. The idea is simple:
    At idle, there should be no slack in the cable (a little preload is good).
    At WOT, the cable should be just about (almost) pulled all the way out.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-kd2aodht (Lokar KD-2AODHT Hi-Tech TV Cable)

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but you really should've checked this before driving the vehicle.
    I checked mine three times because I knew how important the throttle valve cable adjustment is.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6299#post36299 (Related Forum Thread)

The issue with modifying one, is that the current ones attach to the body of the carb or TBI unit with two screws. The side of the
    Sniper only has one hole to screw in to. The transmission builder did not want to drill an extra hole in the body of the Sniper unit.
    There must be a way. I don't have the Sniper throttle body, so I can't help with the modification/fabrication of the TV cable bracket.
    However, I'm sure I'd use an available 700R4 cable bracket to accomplish this, because you don't want to fabricate the entire thing.
    EDIT: Would THIS & THIS work on the Sniper TBI unit?

They build race cars and fabricate all sorts of things.
    That means nothing when they fail. Verify everything when the shop finishes your vehicle.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I have a 200R4 (BowTie OD Stage II) in my Chevelle, and hooked up the TV cable to the hole designed for the 700R4. The transmission doesn't behave any different from what it did when I was using a AED 950 with the BowTie cam setup. I haven't checked the pressure yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
    I have a 200R4 (BowTie OD Stage II) in my Chevelle, and hooked up the TV cable to the hole designed for the 700R4.
    Yeah, I think Splandman has the cable connected to the proper throttle lever hole. He just needs the throttle body mounting bracket. EDIT: Would THIS & THIS work on the Sniper TBI unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    EDIT: Would THIS & THIS work on the Sniper TBI unit?
    I'm not sure if these would work or not. And believe me, if I knew what I was doing, I would have installed it myself and not left it to a shop at all. I knew enough to know it had to be correct and thought these guys could handle it, because they build some very nice cars. It was not a good experience. Aside from messing up the TV cable and costing my $1000 to rebuild the transmission, they never returned my QuadraJet that was taken off.

As I stated above, all of the brackets we have found mount to the bodies of whatever unit it's being attached to (carb or throttle body) with two screw holes, so that it has two mounting points. The Sniper does not have but one hole. So far there is no remedy other than drilling a hole in the side of the unit, or completely fabricating a new bracket.

I was able to get Holley on the phone, they knew what I was talking about right away. Sent me a bracket they said I should have received with the unit. Same issue, bracket has two mounting holes. This is what they sent me: https://holley.com/products/fuel_sys...age/parts/1953.

Quote Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
    I have a 200R4 (BowTie OD Stage II) in my Chevelle, and hooked up the TV cable to the hole designed for the 700R4. The transmission doesn't behave any different from what it did when I was using a AED 950 with the BowTie cam setup. I haven't checked the pressure yet though.
    Did you ever check the pressures? Have you had any issues since then?

I have a Bowtie Overdrive Level II 700-R4, and have run their TV-Made-EZ setup on both carbs that the TV cable has been hooked up to. I've already had to rebuild the trans for other reasons, so I don't want to have to build it again when I put my Sniper EFI on. I emailed Bowtie Overdrives to see if their Holley Carb setup would work on the Sniper and they asked me to send my Sniper to them for setup. I'm just not sure I want to send my unit out for however long it will take.

When did you email Bowtie? I had to send my Sniper EFI to them. They made a bracket and sent it back to the transmission shop I was using. I've had absolutely no issues since then. I would think after they built one, they would have the prototype and be able to reproduce them easily. I wish I had gone with them from the beginning, but I wasted a lot of time with a transmission shop that could not get it right. I finally found another one on the advice of a local car builder and these guys were fantastic. They said they have been working with Bowtie products for years.

Holley told me my cam is a little bit big for the Sniper and is better suited for a carb or multi-port FI. I was convinced I would have to do a cam swap once the Sniper/Trans issue was done. Now the transmission shifts well enough that I'm not going to change the cam.