Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Module Buzz

Question Ignition Module Buzz

I am defeated. I started having symptoms of my ignition module failing, and after pulling off the old one, I realized that the connections from the pickup to the module were very rusted. So I just bought a new pickup & module, reinstalled in it the car and fires right up. Much better than before, and throttle feels way smoother. After letting it warm up, I noticed it had a bit more surge at idle than usual, but it didn't really bug me. Go driving, car is running better than ever. Get back home, park it, and turn it off. When I turn it off, there's a incredibly loud buzzing sound coming from the distributor that was not there before the module replacement. The loud buzzing goes away after a relay kicks off inside the car, 4-5ish seconds. Thought that was weird and went to the parts store to get another ignition module, and it's doing the exact same thing.

Which distributor is this, and what does your ignition system consist of?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Ignition setup. I have the MSD Pro Billet HEI distributor.

Are you using a genuine GM HEI ignition module? If not, start there.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I'm just using a BWD module from O'Reilys, is that not considered a genuine GM HEI module?

BWD is not GM.

Oh brilliant. Whoops, I'll give a update when I get one.

I'm not sure it's your problem, but those distributors don't like cheap ignition modules.

Defective ignition modules - common problem with MSD 8366 distributors.
    Replace the ignition module with a genuine GM ignition module.
    (This same rationale applies to Ford TFI distributors too.)
    ‒ Ignition module for MSD 8366 Pro-Billet Distributors:
    GM 19179578
    ACDelco D1943A
    http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...CO_D1943A.html
    http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/...EI_modules.jpg
    ‒ I'd also verify the GM HEI module polarity is wired correctly:
    http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm

‒ Apply heat sink (thermal conductive) paste on the bottom of the module before installing it.
    Often times, dielectric grease is wrongly used and will lead to an overheated (failed) module.

I can't win. Car seems to run fine with this module, but now when I turn it off, there's still a noise, just a different one. The noise sounds exactly like a electric BBQ igniter, and only lasts for a few seconds, until the relay clicks off inside my car.
    EDIT: After letting the car warm up, it started to run more & more like it had a miss, and less smooth throughout the entire rev range. And at idle, it had a bit of unsteady surge to it.
    Last edited by Sneddon; 01-31-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneddon View Post
    The noise sounds exactly like a electric BBQ igniter, and only lasts for a few seconds, until the relay clicks off inside my car.
    Are you referring to the EFI system relay on the main harness? If so, that should click off as soon as the ignition switch is turned off.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?19171-Run-On (For my own reference.)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....r-Off-Problems (For my own reference.)

EDIT: After letting the car warm up, it started to run more & more like it had a miss, and less smooth throughout the entire rev range. And at idle, it had a bit of unsteady surge to it.
    This seems like the Learn Table being corrupted from ignition misfires. Do not "Transfer Learning To Base" until you get this resolved, because you may need to "Clear" the Learn Table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast