Thread: 2 Inch Grommet

droopie85gt Guest

Default 2 Inch Grommet

OK, the instructions call for drilling a 2" diameter hole to pass the harness through. I bought my kit incomplete and don't have this. I didn't think much of it, but I have spent a couple of hours on Yahoo & Google and can't find a grommet for a 2" diameter hole. Can anyone enlighten me?

I didn't use the 1⅞" rubber grommet, because initially, I didn't need such a big hole in my firewall. However, the new Holley
    HP & Dominator EFI systems have a bigger wire harness, so you decide. I also added a lot of optional EFI related wiring.

I used a split grommet for an 1˝" hole instead, and everything still fit tightly through. This grommet is the same as Holley's, only thicker:
    http://www.rubbergrommets.com/category/grommets/ (Select 1.00" ID, .0625" GW, 1.875" GD, 2.250" OD, .500" THK & click "Search".)
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-grom...shings/=dn2fp7 (Select Panel Hole Diameter - For ID A & Material Thickness - Less Than ⅛")

For enlarging the wire harness diameter and/or filling in empty voids in the grommet:
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4772433&rt=rud (3M #41750 - Scotchfil Electrical Insulation Putty)
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194020&rt=rud (3M #08578 - Strip-Calk Insulation Putty)
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 08-16-2011 at 03:05 AM.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

droopie85gt Guest

I wish I had known how hard it would be to find one for a 2 inch hole, but that's what the instructions say. I opened up 1" hole because the injector connector wouldn't fit through it. I would have been better off buying a Weather-Pack pin tool and taking the connector apart!

I checked both of those sites. RPD looks like they only sell in bulk. I swear I was all over the McMaster-Carr site and couldn't find one for a 2 inch hole! Wow, $15 for 25 regular 2" grommets or $14 for 1 hi-temp. Well I don't need 25, and it is above the headers, so maybe the high temp! Thanks!

andy2175m4@verizon.net Guest

If you can't find a grommet, pull the wiring harness back a few inches, wrap a 1" section of harness in 4 or 5 layers of friction tape. Stuff it back through the hole, so the friction tape straddles the firewall, and goop it on the engine side with a fat fillet of silicone RTV, that will hold in place and keep the hot air out.

droopie85gt Guest

I got the high temp grommet off that site Danny posted. When I looked there first, I didn't think they sold anything NOT in bulk quantities! Good thing was, I ordered it and it came in 3 or 4 days in the mail. The center hole in the grommet is too large and I haven't dealt with it yet, but that's my plan...just wrap some tape around it to build diameter then seal with some silicon.