Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sniper EFI Learn

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    My car is 90% street, and even has factory (and still functional) air conditioning.
    I run an AutoZone sourced aluminum/plastic tanked radiator, 180° Stant thermostat, ACDelco replacement cast iron water pump, factory 2-piece shroud, Hayden HD fan clutch, and factory 7-blade fan.
    I built this engine over 3 years ago, a 93 octane, 10.87:1 compression, 439 cubic inch big block, that runs it's best at 44° of total timing, and the car has never ever came close to running hot...ever. It maintains 177°-180° this time of year no matter how hard it's ran, and with East Coast heat & humidity, in stop & go with A/C on full blast, it's never been over 195-196. Just an FYI.
    You missed the point. The bypass type thermostat (3 holes if it) increases cooling capability by eliminating the bypass hose circuit. So of course you're getting better cooling...that's the purpose. The downside (and why it's not good for a daily driven vehicle), is it takes longer to reach normal operating temperature, and in cold weather, the thermostat loses control of the water temperature (it drops below the thermostat rating). In post #14, you stated the Sniper EFI wasn't in Learn mode on the highway. It's not so bad with a 195° thermostat, but it's noticeable with a 180°/160° thermostat. (I've been there, done that.) I've learned the best cooling advantage is to use a regular high flow thermostat, and restrict the water pump's bypass port.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    You missed the point.
    In post #14, you stated the Sniper EFI wasn't in Learn mode on the highway.
    Actually, I did not miss the point. I said:
    I had the same issue. My two readings matched for about 2 or 3 days. Then Sniper EFI reading was 15-20 degrees colder. I only noticed it because I saw it was not in the LEARN mode while driving on the highway. My Auto Meter sensor and the Holley sensor are both in the intake, both below thermostat, and within a few inches of each other, as seen in the picture below. Bought a new sending unit locally, using a 2002 Chevy Express 2500 with 4.3L engine as the application. The temperatures match perfectly now, and no problem reaching (and/or staying in) Learning mode.
    There was not, nor was there ever a problem with my thermostat, or lack of bypass hose. Mine gets up to temp, and stays very consistent due to a well thought out, and proven, cooling system.
    My car has no problem getting up to temperature, even when it's as cold as the low 40s outside. I haven't driven it since it's gotten even colder. In the teens today.
    The problem is with Holley's supplied coolant temperature sensor reading up to 20° lower than actual. That was my problem, and I'd bet the OP's problem as well.

Like I said above, mine hovers around a TRUE & ACCURATE 177°, so with a 20° lower false reading that I got with the supplied CTS, it wouldn't stay in LEARN mode. It showed between 157°-160° (which was obviously incorrect due to the sensors being read at near identical spots), so it was in & out of LEARN mode. With a new CTS, it matches as identical as you could ever expect, and stays in LEARN like it should.

This is a common problem with the FiTech EFI, and I've already read/seen of at least a few Holley users with the same issue. If the supplied sending unit does not read properly, which definitely sometimes happens, it needs to be replaced by one that does. It's a simple 10 dollar fix.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 01-09-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Don't misquote me. My "You missed the point." comment was not in reference to your post #14. (You took those two sentences out of context and combined them.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Well it was one paragraph, so I assumed it was one statement. Please tell me what point I missed?
    The whole thermostat debate, that you started, has nothing at all to do with the OP's problem anyway.
    The Holley supplied coolant temperature sensor reads LOW on at least some people's Sniper EFI setups. That is a fact.
    If your vehicle is running 179°, then it SHOULD be in LEARN MODE.
    If your Sniper handheld shows 159°, then as we all know, it will NOT be in LEARN mode.
    I gave the OP the part number and I thought a decent explanation of why I replaced it.
    The OP said his handheld was reading 150°, when on the highway then clarified that it did not match his other temp gauge.
    Sorry I tried to help, with actual experience with this exact same issue, with this exact same product...geez.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 01-09-2017 at 12:59 PM.

I'm amazed the Sniper EFI deactivates Learn mode only on the highway. Nothing to do with a cooling system that can't regulate engine temperature? That doesn't happen with my engine.
    FYI: The Standard Motor Products TX3T is the CTS economy version. If you Sniper EFI users are having such major CTS problems, consider purchasing the Standard Motor Products TX3.

No clue what you're referring to, or what you're trying to say Danny. My car's temperature stays very consistent, as I said above. Mine is in Learn mode everywhere except on deceleration. I have a 180° thermostat and that's where the car runs in any ambient temps below about 80°F or so. Above that, with A/C on, it goes to 195°ish at worst. Mine works as it should.

OK, I guess we're now on the same page.

I'm gonna try a new sensor and see if that changes anything. And if I have to, I'll put it in the head. Right now I have a manual gauge and my cluster gauge in the heads. And the Sniper EFI sensor in the intake. My manual gauge and my cluster gauge is reading the same, which going down the freeway is 180°, and once I get off the freeway it comes up to 190°-195°ish.

Once mine were in sync with one another, both in the 180° range, the idle smoothed out very nicely and you could actually tell it was running better...almost right away. Please post back with your results.

My newly installed Sniper coolant temp sensor in my Performer intake reads low, compared to the other coolant temp sensor I have in the car as well. I plan to spend the $10.00 on a new coolant temp sensor to see if it will resolve my temperature differential issue. Rel3rd, thanks for posting a link to the part that worked for you. Jim
    Last edited by Willyspu; 01-11-2017 at 01:33 AM.