Thread: Holley Commander won't advance the spark what's wrong with this setup ?

andy2175m4@verizon.net Guest

Default Holley Commander won't advance the spark what's wrong with this setup ?

Commander 950 won’t advance the timing any more

My setup was a Ford 390 with a Mallory Uni-Lite distributor, and A Holley Commander 950 ECU, and 8Ford fuel injectors. This setup worked at first, but only intermittently. It was very hard starting. When it finally started, it ran pretty good, but was way too hard to start.

I then got the idea the ECU was not getting a clean rpm signal from the distributor. I then installed a Ford TFI distributor which has a clean 12 volt square wave output for the RPM, that setup worked immediately, and has started every time,

But for some reason, now the spark advance does not work most of the time. A couple weeks ago it was running fine, then it started crapping out,

I found a thread on Chevy Talk addressing the loss of timing advance with the Commander 950, and there were two workarounds suggested (1. save fuel maps more carefully, 2. force default values) I tried both of these, sometimes it appeared to work sometimes it did not.

I also tried a brand new TFI ignition module, that did not make any difference,

Are there any other workrounds or fixes that I could try with the Commander 950 to get the timing to advance ??

It was working great for a while, then I lost my advance.

Any tests of the TFI module you can suggest ? I tried all the simple tests I could find on the internet, no luck finding fault in the TFI module.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions,

Andy
    1963 Thunderbird, 390 V8

On the Modifiers screen, are all the 'Additional Timing vs. Coolant Temperature' cells set at -32?
    If so, change them all back to zero (especially for initial tuning).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

andy2175m4@verizon.net Guest

Finally Figured it out:

1. The Holley ECU does not like a noisy RPM signal, so I put in a TFI distributor with a clean square wave rpm output, that works.

I kept troubleshooting everything, and finally figured out there was very little fuel getting into the system. I found the fuel pump output was dribbling, instead of gushing like a garden hose, that's not good. There was a HUGE blockage in my fuel tank, got that cleared up and now it runs fine.

I guess this blockage has been in the fuel tank for a ling time but I did not figure it out until Friday. Amazing.

Now it runs finally, starts right up, all is good with the car. Thanks, Andy

maik21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    On the Modifiers screen, are all the 'Additional Timing vs. Coolant Temperature' cells set at -32?
    If so, change them all back to zero (especially for initial tuning).
    I have same problem. Car won't rev higher than 900 rpm when I switch from mechanical distributor to TFI distributor. So I put cells from-32 to zero and problem was solved. Thank you.