Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sudden severe overfueling with my Sniper EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
    Since you mentioned the 700R4 transmission, the Holley bracket that came with the Sniper didn't even come close to working for my 700R4.
    I had to cut and marry it to another brand bracket to get it dialed it. Did you have better luck with the included brackets or did you have to modify also?
    I joined this forum because of this issue. I did not install my Sniper EFI unit. I had a brand new 700R4 with maybe 500 miles on it, when a shop put my Sniper EFI on for me. I had read where others had problems with the bracket and I knew the bracket for my QuadraJet wouldn't work, so I mentioned all that to the shop. This shop builds some pretty high end race cars. They are one of the stars on the Street Outlaws show. I was told not to worry about it, because they would just fabricate something if they needed to. Well they didn't, and screwed up the geometry. Burned up 3rd & 4th within 50 miles of picking up the truck. Not a good experience, and they say they lost my QuadraJet. Ridiculous.

Went back to my transmission builder, he built a new one and then got on the phone with Holley. They sent a new bracket that was no better. (They forgot to include a bracket when I bought my unit.) My transmission builder finally got it all worked out to his satisfaction, and I've had no issues since. My complaint now is my lockup converter. I shift to third and it locks up at 32 MPH. First & second gear are really good, the shift to third & fourth suck. If I manually shift it, then it's great. If I'm cruising 70 MPH and stomp it to pass someone, it's great. Normal throttle shifting in 3rd & 4th is awful. When I can, I'm ditching the lock up. I hate the 700R4, but need the overdrive. I cruise at 1950 RPM going 65, with a 383, 33 inch tires, 4.10 gears.
    Last edited by Splandman; 05-19-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    1982 K10, 383 stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, 700R4, 2˝" Skyjacker suspension lift.

Ahh, I remember your thread. I found it when doing a Google search after finding out my Sniper carb bracket did not work. I don't know why they include it, if it's not setup properly. I couldn't use the one from my Holley 3310, well not directly. I used it and the Sniper unit to morph and weld together a proper bracket. I like my 700R4. It has always shifted well, I run it on my '80 GMC 383 Jimmy 8 lug 4:10 with 38.5" tires.

I need someone to figure mine out. After reading a lot, I believe it's the converter, but not sure. I know the cable is set properly and it's a new build. When this thing goes in to 3rd my RPM drops to about 1000-1100. The truck sucks from about 32 MPH to 44 MPH, then it picks up again. If I manually shift it into overdrive and I wait until it hits 55, everything is good.

We have fairly similar setups. Mine is an '82 K10, 383", 4.10, 33 inch tires. I have an all spring Skyjacker 2.5 inch lift on it. I'm guessing yours is a much bigger lift with 38.5 inch tires on there. My truck was just geared to 4.10. Made a huge difference.

Installed the new Bosch WBO2 today and drove it about 30 miles. It ran pretty good. Now I just need to figure out if it failed because of a faulty part, poor installation job, or some other reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17389040_1847680358839240_9145198826590765596_o.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	2216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17240434_1847680355505907_1542810361209827117_o.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	2217  
    1982 K10, 383 stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, 700R4, 2˝" Skyjacker suspension lift.

I didn't mean to derail. Nice Truck (mine is stuffed in the garage, I have to dig up a picture).
    Mine has an 8 inch all spring Superlift & crossover steering 4 wheel disc with a Corp 14 rear.
    It was my daily for years, then a while ago I did the 383 and had carb issue after carb issue, so I parked it.
    I would fire it up occasionally, but it ran bad and the fuel kept going bad (ethanol sucks).
    I was excited to see the sniper platform and i waited forever for the release. Unfortunately,
    I stuck two valves and bent two pushrods, so I just got it all back together and just waiting
    on my second Dual Sync distributor to show up, so I can get her started on all eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Splandman View Post
    Installed the new Bosch WBO2 today and drove it about 30 miles. It ran pretty good. Now I just need to figure out if it failed because of a faulty part, poor installation job, or some other reason.
    My car was running great prior to, and also all day, the day my WBO2 sensor failed.
    Parked the car, went inside for about an hour, came out, and car would barely run.
    Since I have replaced it with a Bosch 17025 sourced from Amazon, it has been fine.
    I have the one Holley sent me under warranty. It is embossed with the HOLLEY name, so unsure who actually made it.

So is the Sniper EFI able to use a retail Bosch WBO2 sensor, available for $65, unlike the HP/Dominator which require the Holley version that cost $147?

In Sniper EFI software there's a choice between 4.9 & NTK WBO2 sensors. Under System Parameters > EFI Parameters > WBO2 Sensor there's setting for 4.9 or NTK. What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet9 View Post
    So is the Sniper EFI able to use a retail Bosch WBO2 sensor, available for $65, unlike the HP/Dominator which require the Holley version that cost $147?
    Correct, the Sniper EFI doesn't use the same WBO2 as the HP/Dominator EFI systems.

Quote Originally Posted by 351C Sniper View Post
    What's the difference?
    The supplied Bosch LSU4.9 WBO2 sensor, or the optional NTK L2H2 WBO2 sensor for forced induction applications (which I don't see is available yet).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet9 View Post
    My transmission builder finally got it all worked out to his satisfaction, and I've had no issues since. My complaint now is my lockup converter. I shift to third and it locks up at 32 MPH. First & second gear are really good, the shift to third & fourth suck. If I manually shift it, then it's great. If I'm cruising 70 MPH and stomp it to pass someone, it's great. Normal throttle shifting in 3rd & 4th is awful. When I can, I'm ditching the lock up. I hate the 700R4, but need the overdrive. I cruise at 1950 RPM going 65, with a 383, 33 inch tires, 4.10 gears.
    FYI: Terminator/HP/Dominator EFI users can install a VSS sensor to greatly improve the torque converter clutch lockup actuation:
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7928#post37928 (Torque Converter Clutch Lockup Parameters/Actuation)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

That's a neat option. But if his 700R4 is non-electrical like mine, you can't control it externally other than the TV cable input.
    Last edited by Zmann; 05-22-2017 at 11:47 AM.