X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 30rat
    • Dec 2016

Holley Dual Sync Distributor Wiring

I'm installing a Holley Dual Sync Distributor to my Sniper EFI. I just received the wire harness adapter, but I'm not sure how the wiring goes. The instructions that came with the Sniper EFI, and the ones that came with the distributor are not very clear. I'm running an MSD Digital 6AL. I have the purple & green wire hooked up to the single purple wire, which is connected to the tach out wire of the MSD box per the instructions. The new distributor wire harness adapter plugs into the distributor plug. The other side of the adapter has one plug containing the purple wire. There is also a red/white striped wire and a green wire, both unterminated. So, do I unplug the original purple & blue wires coming off the main harness, and plug in the single purple wire from the distributor? Where do I connect the red/white striped and green wires to? Thanks!
    Last edited by 30rat; 12-19-2016, 10:22 PM.
  • Danny Cabral
    Administrator
    • Dec 2009

Currently, the Sniper EFI instruction manual has the wrong wiring diagram for the Holley 558-493 Adapter Harness.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld9ml6e6P6Q (This Sniper EFI YouTube video has the correct wiring diagram @ 2:33 minutes.)
    You might have to contact Holley Tech Service (LINK) if you have further questions about the wiring instructions.

http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - For my own reference.)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual - For my own reference.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• rel3rd
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by 30rat View Post
      I'm installing a Holley Dual Sync Distributor to my Sniper EFI. I just received the wire harness adapter...
      Would you possibly share where you were able to locate the harness? Thanks for that video link Danny.
      Last edited by rel3rd; 12-20-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• 30rat
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by rel3rd View Post
        Would you possibly share where you were able to locate the harness? Thanks for that video link Danny.
        Thanks for the replies. It was originally thought that hooking up the Holley Dual Sync was plug & play but it isn't? The main harness has a purple & blue wire with a small plastic connector, that's plugged into another connector that has one purple wire that has an unterminated end that you connect to the gray wire of your MSD box. That's all per the instructions. I had to contact Holley to have them send me the harness wire adapter for the Dual Sync distributor, which I described above. It came with no instructions and the ones that came with the Sniper EFI & distributor don't show how or where to connect it, plus the wire colors are wrong. The video says you just plug it in? You can't because one end has a plug you connect to the distributor, and the other end of the adapter only has one purple wire with a plug and a red & green with unterminated ends. I have an idea of where to hookup the purple, which would be to the one that is hooked up now to my gray wire MSD tach signal. The red with white stripe would be switched power and the the green I'm not sure? I don't want to guess on this.
        Last edited by 30rat; 12-20-2016, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• rel3rd
          • Oct 2016

Well, I can't post anything even remotely negative, or they will delete it, but it sure sounds like you did not get the adapter that is listed in the Reference Manual. Was the adapter, HOLLEY part number 558-493?

Comment

• Danny Cabral
            Administrator
            • Dec 2009

I don't want to guess on this.
            Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK) if you have further questions about the wiring instructions.
            '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• 30rat
              • Dec 2016

...but it sure sounds like you did not get the adapter that is listed in the Reference Manual. Was the adapter, HOLLEY part number 558-493?
              Yes, that's the correct part number. I'm going to contact/call Holley Tech Support today and will post my results.

Comment

• 30rat
                • Dec 2016

Talked to Holley support this morning and they were very helpful.
                Plug Holley 558-493 Adapter Harness into distributor.
                Red/white stripe wire goes to a switched +12V.
                Green wire goes to chassis ground.
                Purple wire with small connector, goes to Sniper main harness purple/green wire small connector.
                I'll hook it up tonight after work and let everyone know how it went.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                  Administrator
                  • Dec 2009

So you obtained the Holley 558-493 Adapter Harness, and received good Holley tech support. Sounds good to me.

Comment

• 30rat
                    • Dec 2016

I finished the Holley Dual Sync Distributor install tonight, and here's my review:
                    The Sniper EFI was a straightforward install other than upgrading the fuel system,
                    which was just time consuming depending on which way you go with it.
                    Night & day difference in throttle response & power with EFI. I give it an "A".
                    The Holley Dual Sync Distributor is also a simple install, once you get the 558-493 Adapter Harness.
                    Simply plug it into the ignition harness, purple to purple, green to green, red to switched +12V.
                    If running an MSD box, plug in the 10-pin connector and connect the white wire to the MSD white wire.
                    The 30_Rat (Instagram name) fired right up, and I can't wait to hit the strip with it. My grade is an A.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2009

Thanks for the update/testimonial. These are the parts I often suggest and, this is the satisfaction most Sniper EFI users experience.

Comment

• rel3rd
                        • Oct 2016

I finished the Holley Dual Sync Distributor install tonight, and here's my review:
                        The Sniper EFI was a straightforward install other than upgrading the fuel system,
                        which was just time consuming depending on which way you go with it.
                        Night & day difference in throttle response & power with EFI. I give it an "A".
                        The Holley Dual Sync Distributor is also a simple install, once you get the 558-493 Adapter Harness.
                        Simply plug it into the ignition harness, purple to purple, green to green, red to switched +12V.
                        If running an MSD box, plug in the 10-pin connector and connect the white wire to the MSD white wire.
                        The 30_Rat (Instagram name) fired right up, and I can't wait to hit the strip with it. My grade is an A.
                        Originally posted by Danny Cabral View Post
                        Thanks for the update/testimonial. These are the parts I often suggest and, this is the satisfaction most Sniper EFI users experience.
                        Great to read. Congratulations on the smooth installation.
                        My harness should be here today, but as luck would have it, the Dual Sync is showing as backordered.
                        Looking forward to a smooth install with the Holley Dual Sync, and running the Timing Control myself.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                          Administrator
                          • Dec 2009

My harness should be here today, but as luck would have it, the Dual Sync is showing as backordered.
                          I wish you hadn't cancelled your original Holley Dual Sync distributor order. However, I wish you the best with your Sniper ECU controlled timing upgrade.

Comment

• rel3rd
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Danny Cabral View Post
                            I wish you hadn't cancelled your original Holley Dual Sync distributor order. However, I wish you the best with your Sniper ECU controlled timing upgrade.
                            Well, it seems the HolleyInjection.com site is now a dead link...at least it was yesterday.
                            If you Google them, and click on their website, it goes directly to Holley.com.
                            Anyway, no biggie, it's supposed to ship in 1 week, and thanks for the wishes.
                            Unfortunately, another more serious issue has popped up. I'm starting a new thread here in a minute. Nothing at all related to distributors, timing, or harnesses. :)

Comment

• rel3rd
                              • Oct 2016

I thought I already posted this, but as usual, I'm a little confused.
                              The original poster said harness from dual sync, purple wire plugs into Sniper EFI harness. Green wire to ground and red with white stripe to +12V ignition.
                              But just above says purple to purple, green to green. So does green go to ground, or somehow get connected directly to green on the Sniper EFI harness?
                              FWIW, I have the same harness. Where purple wire is terminated (by itself) to the small two terminal plug, but green wire is loose, unterminated, by itself.
                              I know the red one is 12 volt with key-on, but unsure of the green. Thanks in advance.
                              Last edited by rel3rd; 12-25-2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X