Thread: Sniper EFI N2O Wiring Confusion

Question Sniper EFI N2O Wiring Confusion

I'm not grasping something on this basic nitrous kit for some reason. I wish to run a simple 150 HP plate system. I have a Holley Sniper throttle body EFI setup.
    The Holley is presently controlling all ignition timing functions, and can/will also control the nitrous, as far as it's activation, a preset time delay for activation, the RPM ON & OFF, and timing retard...all programmable. Their wiring is what has me confused. There's only THREE wires that need to be connected from Holley harness to nitrous solenoids:

COLOR ---------------- Labeled Name ---------- Function
    Orange Input #1 (-) .... Nitrous Master Enable .... Switched ground trigger (Required)
    Yellow Input #2 (-) ..... Nitrous Input #1 ........... Switched ground trigger (Required)
    Gray Output #6 (-) ..... Nitrous Relay Trigger ..... Ground side trigger for the Nitrous relay

I understand the GRAY (Output) wire would be the relay's ground signal, but I don't know if it's the terminology or what, but I can't understand how the other two wires are tied in, or where they come from? What the heck is a "Switched Ground Trigger"?

Way back in the day, a basic nitrous kit had a toggle switch to get voltage from the battery/fuse panel, wire to the "button", then out to the solenoids. Hit the button, nitrous worked. Can someone explain where the other two wires that are tied into the harness come FROM? Sorry for the probably stupid question. Like I said, I'm not "getting it" for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    What the heck is a "Switched Ground Trigger"?
    A Switched Ground Trigger is an Input from a user supplied switch connected to ground (such as the N2O Enable switch and the N2O Input #1 transbrake/manual activation switch).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 12" Spal fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    A Switched Ground Trigger is an Input from a user supplied switch connected to ground (such as the N2O Enable switch and the N2O Input #1 transbrake/manual activation switch).
    That's exactly what I do not understand. My son's car has a transbrake. The button has two wires. One from the fuse block (+12V), and the other to the actual transbrake solenoid. There's no ground to, or for, the switch.

I see "Nitrous Enable" (if the EFI is not involved) as a +12 volt positive wire going to a toggle switch, and when ON, sending +12V to the nitrous activation button or micro switch. Then the "N2O activation" (the button or micro switch) when closed, sending +12V to the N2O solenoids. There's no ground used in those two wiring situations, except for the common ground for the solenoids. So I don't understand which wire goes to which location? That's what I don't understand. I hope I'm explaining it correctly.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 12-09-2016 at 05:52 PM.

My son's car has a transbrake. The button has two wires. One from the fuse block (+12V), and the other to the actual transbrake solenoid. There's no ground to, or for, the switch.
    The transbrake button (switch) can be on the ground side of the circuit (LINK).

I see "Nitrous Enable" (if the EFI is not involved) as a +12 volt positive wire going to a toggle switch, and when ON, sending +12V to the nitrous activation button or micro switch.
    The N2O Enable (Switched Ground Trigger) is simply an ECU input wire that signals the ECU that you've armed/enabled (but not activated yet) the N2O system. It's not connected to the N2O system/solenoid wiring. (Ground is just easier.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 12" Spal fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

So, the term GROUND, in this scenario, is just the circuit being completed, and not a physical NEGATIVE GROUND?
    If so, my +12V power ON/OFF toggle switch wire will connect to ORANGE "Nitrous Enable" wire in Holley harness?
    And, my +12V power "button" (micro switch) that would normally just energize relay to the actual solenoids,
    will still energize relay to the solenoids AND connect to the YELLOW "Nitrous Input" wire in Holley harness?
    And the GRAY "Nitrous Output" will GROUND the relay, allowing N2O activation (obviously when Holley Sniper nitrous activation settings are all met)?

So, the term GROUND, in this scenario, is just the circuit being completed, and not a physical NEGATIVE GROUND?
    The N2O Arming/Enable switch is illustrated HERE. Simple.

If so, my +12V power ON/OFF toggle switch wire will connect to ORANGE "Nitrous Enable" wire in Holley harness?
    Yes, but the Sniper EFI N2O Enable (Orange ground Input), N2O Input #1 (Yellow ground Input) & N2O Relay Trigger (Gray ground Output) are hard-coded as grounds, not +12V.

And the GRAY "Nitrous Output" will GROUND the relay, allowing N2O activation (obviously when Holley Sniper nitrous activation settings are all met)?
    Yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I don't understand, is why the N2O Input #1 is "required" with the Sniper EFI system?
    In all other Holley EFI systems, the N2O Input #1/#2/#3 etc., are optional, not mandatory:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Section 10.0 "Nitrous System Wiring", Page 28)
    EDIT: See post #8 below for answer.

Well, I'm a fleet mechanic (35 years now) for an industrial electric company. And my boss, a master electrician couldn't explain it to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    What I don't understand, is why the N2O Input #1 is "required" with the Sniper EFI system?
    In all other Holley EFI systems, the N2O Input #1/#2/#3 etc., are optional, not mandatory:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Section 10.0 "Nitrous System Wiring", Page 28)
    It turns out I was correct about the Sniper N2O Input #1 usage. It's not exactly "required" in terms of wiring an additional input. What they mean is, it's required to be wired (connected), but not necessarily used. If not using the N2O Input #1 (for an additional input such as a transbrake, or to disable the N2O stage, etc.), then you'd simply wire the two Inputs (orange & yellow wires) together at the N2O Master Enable switch. Evidently, the Sniper EFI software (LINK) makes all this much more intuitive.